ECHO to determine Type of CHF

There is some question as to whether it is appropriate to code CHF type based on the ECHO results.  I found a coding clinic titled "Use of imaging reports for greater specificity" ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding Clinic, Third Quarter ICD-10 2014 Page 5.   It states It is appropriate to utilize imaging reports to provide greater specificity of the anatomic site as documented by the physician.   Some says this covers coding the type by the Echo report.  Some say this is not an anatomic site so this does not apply.  Any thoughts?? 

Comments

• I've been taught that I can use the ECHO report as a clinical indicator but not able to use it to independently code the type of CHF.  The Type of CHF would not be an anatomical site in my opinion.
  • I don't think that CC applies to echocardiograms, therefore I would recommend leaving the diagnosing to the providers. Further, at this stage of strict documentation requirements, I would think most providers would/should be aware of the specificity required for heart failure documentation, especially in the inpatient setting.

- Richard G. RN,CCS,CCDS

• Some related reading here I thought you mind find helpful/interesting (includes discussion on use of prior echoes for HF specificity):

http://www.acdis.org/system/files/resources/physician-queries-prior-information.pdf
  •   It states It is appropriate to utilize imaging reports to provide greater specificity of the anatomic site as documented by the physician.

Thats mostly in case of fracture, left vs right?

It does not relate to using ECHO to determine type of CHF? When in doubt, query!