Yes/No Query Language

We're in the process of looking at our query formats...specifically looking at the "yes/no" format...and have some difficulty with the proposed language in the sample queries in the 2016 Guidance.  The examples seem to indicate that options for "yes/no" queries should be yes, no, other, or clinically undetermined.  Yes, no, and clinically undetermined (aka "I don't know" or "maybe, maybe not") make sense.  But grammatically, "other" makes no sense in that there are no logical options besides yes, no, and undetermined.  What else can you be? I'm thinking of dumping the "other" option on the yes/no query for this language-based reason.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• I think the 'other' is there for them to explain. We left it on our template for this reason.
  • It makes perfect sense to include "other" on the multiple choice queries.  What you can explain as "other" on a yes/no other than yes, no, or I don't know?  I'm not sure.  Can you give me an example that would be different than something that would fall under "clinically undetermined?"  Thanks!

• I think its room to explain beyond a yes/no response. if they want to support the dx in some way or just add any information. For ex: if they did NOT agree with the dx, hopefully they would use 'other' and state an alternative dx or some other information as to why. Often a simple yes/no response doesnt accurately capture the complexity of the issue. Our electronic templates are formatted so that if they selected 'yes' or 'no', it would not automatically prompt them to freetext anything. however, the 'other' option would. we always say "other (please explain)".
  • Thanks.  I get what you're saying about add'l info, but in a yes/no query, where you have a "maybe" option like "clinically undetermined," not sure what add'l info you'd be looking for.  Certainly if you're not going to put a "maybe" ("clinically undetermined") option in there "other" makes sense, and in a multiple-choice query I certainly agree you've got to have an "other" option for the doc to write in things you've not thought of.  Maybe I took too many English classes in college and I'm thinking too hard (and yes, I did just end the prior sentence with a dangling participle).