Admission Types

My question is related to admission types. We are working on updating our definitions and I came across the ACDIS article "Q&A: Urgent versus elective admission types". We like the definition this article provides for Urgent Admission Type. The question we have is where did the 14days come from? I have read this "14 days" for a scheduled admission to be considered Urgent in other articles. We are wondering if that is in a CMS regulation or other type of official document or is it simply a standard that some facilities and organizations have adopted? It makes sense, we would just like to know the origin before we adopt it. I am adding the excerpt that I am asking about. I appreciate any input that you can provide. Thank you!

Urgent: An admission for a medical condition that could become an emergency if not diagnosed or treated in a timely manner but where the patient’s condition is stable enough to slow a short delay. Generally, an urgent admission should occur within 14 days and because of the urgency, the admission is arranged for the first available and suitable accommodation.