Physician ICD-10 training/education -- a requirement?

Many organizations have contracted with a outside vendor or someone internal to the organization to provide ICD-10 education. Most have modules designed specifically for providers (physicians, nursing, ancillary, etc.).

My question is this: Are any of your organizations requiring providers to attend/complete any of this provided training? We all have experience with developing presentations, contracting with speakers and having hardly any of the doctors show up, so I'm trying to get an idea if any of your facilities (or health systems) are making it mandatory that physicians complete some minimal standard of education.

Are they including this requirement as part of the re-credentialing or new staff orientation process? In other words, how are they making sure that ALL docs know what they need to know? Does non-attendance or completion of training have any consequences attached?

Comments

• You just hit the nail on the head!
    We KNOW our MD's will not attend these sessions and our Executive team will not make these trainings mandatory. This is the primary reason why we are NOT contracting with a vendor to provide education. Instead we have expanded our team to cover all payers and are performing risk analysis to help us identify and mitigate risk primarily via CDI efforts. It's not perfect, but we can't justify paying for something that will be poorly attended so that funding is probably better spend on CDI/Coder training. I-10 education will primarily be driven out of CDI with education via Newsletters, tips, PP slides in MD lounge, Twitter, queries, and we are now a standing agenda item on all department meetings. We will see how it pans out for our facility....

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404