New CDI

I am an RN with strong clinical background and 2 years of casemanagement and I have been assigned the job of CDI and I have no idea what I am doing. Are there any educational materials that anyone could recommend to help me figure this out?

Thanks
Theresa Crosslin RN-CM
931-783-2078

Comments

• You are not alone! I had to google "DRG" prior to my interview for my position ;-). Are there other CDI's at your facility or are you a 'lone wolf'?

* Read the CDI Handbook cover to cover

* Scour the ACDIS website/Blog/CDITalk

* Read the ACDIS journals, start with the most current and work backwards.

* Ask lots of questions on CDI talk (Even if you are worried they are 'stupid'. I hope no one looks for my early posts ;-) ).

* Try to find a few people you can contact with questions. Either from this forum or contact any other local hospitals that have established programs (If your hospital does not).

* Make contact with your Coders. Ask questions!

* See if your hospital will send you to a CDI Bootcamp or pay for some type of formal education.

Good luck!

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404
  • Hi Theresa -

HCPro offers an educational on-line CDI bootcamp that would greatly help
    you understand the CDI role. The core training is essential for anyone
    doing the job. The info and support resources are available through the
    ACDIS website. Live classes are great, but the online option reduces
    travel expenses. I highly recommend pulling the info then presenting the
    training costs to your organization. Obtaining some sort of training will
    be essential to successfully perform the role. Feel free to contact me if
    you need some direction. I worked with someone in the past that tried to
    self-teach, but organizational expectations don't wait.............so I
    hope you are able to "sell" the need for proper training.

Cindy Pritchett, RN, BSN, CCDS
    MedPartners CDI Consultant
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks for your response someone else had responded and suggested the boot camp to me and it will be in Nashville in Feb which is only and hour from me and I have friends there I can stay with. Do I need to try to take coding classes before I go to this? I just don't want to be lost. I have ordered the CDI Handbook and hope to get it today or tomorrow.

Theresa Crosslin RN-CM
    931-783-2078
  • Yay! You do not need to take any coding classes. There will likely be attendees at all levels.

Have fun!

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404
  • Theresa

The good news it, you can take your program and run with it! The boot camp is a good foundation, but if you have not coding/CDI back ground I would say to take a class-OR at the very least be paired with your hospital coders. Do you have an encoder that the hospital uses? Learn that process as well, because just going through that helps aid in documentation specifics for higher degree or severity etc.

ALSO, I don't know if you have thought of it, but are there other hospitals in your area with an established CDI program? If there are, perhaps spending some time with them would help. I know I have had other hospitals in our area come and see what we do. If you need copies of queries, I would be glad to send you some. PLEASE send me your email and I will send some educational materials we use for the Residents and faculty that help explain a CDI role, queries etc.

Good luck!

Juli Bovard RN CCDS
    605-719-4390
    jbovard@regionalhealth.com
  • edited May 2016
    Thank you Juli for your help. Everyone has been so nice and helpful I don't feel so alone anymore. My email is TCrosslin@crmchealth.org. I am trying to get with the coders here but the director has been out of town. I spoke with one of the coders and she is suppose to get a message to her so I hope to be able to spend some time with them next week. I have been looking at coding classes online. Are they helpful or do I need to take a live class.

Anything you could send me would be very appreciated. Again thank you so much for your help.

Theresa Crosslin RN CM
    Cookeville Regional Medical Center
    931-783-2078
    TCrosslin@crmchealth.org
  • edited May 2016
    Wow! Thank you so much. I can't stop reading all this stuff it is so interesting. It really helps to give me to be able to visualize this job now. I am so grateful. I have a long way to go be at least I feel now like I know which direction to go in.

Theresa Crosslin RN CM
    Cookeville Regional Medical Center
    931-783-2078
    TCrosslin@crmchealth.org
  • Also join your local chapter http://www.hcpro.com/acdis/local-chapters.cfm; the leaders might be able to put you in touch with someone from your area and you could shadow them for a day to see how they do it.
    Good luck & WELCOME!!!!

Melissa Varnavas | Associate Director
    ACDIS | 75 Sylvan Street, Suite A-101, Danvers, MA 01923
    P 781-639-1872, ext. 3711 | www.acdis.org