two questions...

1. Scenario: Patient is paraplegiac and was treated (debridement/closure) of stage 4 ischial pressure ulcer years ago. The ulcer recently reopened and patient comes in for scheduled debridement and flap placement. OP note dx is Stage 4 pressure ulcer and this is stated throughout. Is it most correct to assign the chronic ulcer code or the pressure ulcer code with the stage4 as the MCC?

2. Patient comes in with dizziness and blurred vision and malignant HTN. Pt has hx of prior hypertensive bleed a month ago. Extensive workup is performed to determine if there is continued bleed. MRI shows that there is no continued bleed but does show the chronic bleed that was seen a month prior. Provider documents:

basal ganglia hemorrhagic stroke hx 2/2 HTN

-MRI on admit w/no acute changes---resolving compared to 12/10 and 12/15 MRI

-apprec neurology input---rec CT head if neg ok to resume asa---see next section

-no further sx of dizzy/blurry vison all 2/2 to uncontrolled HTN

-no focal neuro deficits today--1/17

Discharge summery lists: "Relatively recent basal ganglia hemorrhagic stroke in 12/2013." in the problem list and in the narrative states "She was seen by neurology. She did not have a recurrent stroke."

Should the stroke (431) be coded?

This two are really giving me a run for my money...

Thanks!

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
Flagstaff Medical Center
Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
Cell: 928.814.9404

Comments

• edited May 2016
    My take on your questions:

Scenario #1 - Decubitus ulcer as prin dx with stage 4 as secondary - CC 1st Qtr, 1996 page 15 and CC 3rd Qtr, 1990 p 15 both offer advice on a similar scenarios.

Scenario #2 - I don't think so. An acute bleed was ruled out after study and she has no deficits due to the previous bleed. V12.54 would be more appropriate in my opinion.

Interested to see what others think...

Sharon Salinas, CCS
    Health Information Management
    Barlow Respiratory Hospital
    2000 Stadium Way, Los Angeles CA 90026
    Tel: 213-250-4200 ext 3336
    FAX: 213-202-6490
    ssalinas@barlow2000.org

• If the stroke was 2 weeks before I would think it could be coded as
    secondary as it's still showing up and still going to be a consideration
    for treatment (if it was a a year and 2 weeks ago I would not think it
    would be coded.

(I thought the same as other on first situation).

Ann

• edited May 2016
    Scenario #1
    I would assign Decubitus ulcer ischium stage 4 for the first scenario.

Scenario #2
    I do not think you can assign a current stroke code for this patient. There is no supporting clinical indicators to support a current CVA. Does patient have residual symptoms from previous CVA? Might could get a late effect of cva and residuals out of it

Dorie Douthit RHIT,CCS
    AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer
    ddouthit@stmarysathens.org

• Dorie,
    No, the patient has no residual deficits and the dizziness/blurred vision they had on presentation is determined to be related to the patients Hypertension

Ann,
    This is where the struggle lies. Yes, the patient had a resolving stroke from a month ago. The reason for the complete workup was because of this history. But nothing acute was found. This is the sole MCC on this record and I am auditing, hence the concern.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!

Flagstaff Medical Center

• I'm not a frequent responder but there was a post under Q&A in CDI strategies Oct 9, 2014 discussing "subacute" stroke. There are coding clinic references. Since the patient had a stroke a month ago, it may qualify as subacute. The coding clinic guidance directs coding of the infarct and the hemorrhage. This may not be what you're looking for but it might help.

Debbie Smith RN, CCDS
    UT Southwestern University Hospitals

• edited May 2016
    Agree with sharon

• I see now the stoke was from 2013. Would have to agree with the others. V code.

Debbie Smith RN, CCDS

• Debbie, this was an old case that came up on a PEPPER audit. The stroke was in Dec 2013 and the admission was in January. It was a month old.

Thanks!

Flagstaff Medical Center