EPIC CDI module

I wanted to see if anyone is using the 2014 version of EPIC and how the CDI module functions. We are on EPIC's 2012 version and are using 3M CDIS (with lots of ongoing headaches). We would like to ditch CDIS and just use EPIC if the CDI component is robust enough. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

David Reece, BSN, RN
Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement
Clinical Improvement
Novant Health
office: 336-277-1935
fax: 336-277-8045
dreece@novanthealth.org

Comments

• edited April 2016
    We are going live next week with Epic 2014 and we've been told that the encoder will not be embedded until the next version of epic. The Current CDI module in epic wasn't close to meeting our needs...
    I'm disappointed to hear that 3M cdiS is a hassle.
    Andrea Kelly
    Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital

• edited April 2016
    We are currently using EPIC 2012 version with 3MDOCMS upgrading to CDIS in July. We are scheduled to get the EPIC upgrade this year as well. I would love to talk with you about the headaches you are having??? We currently abstract into epic and use a stand alone encoder. We only us 3MDOCMS to house our data, we enter it after coding is completed on the record. My understanding with CDIS is we will have to open an encounter in real time and the only way to put in a DRG is using the embedded encoder. None of us are looking forward to this as it will slow us down significantly.
    Amy Fenton, RN, CDS
    Bronson Healthcare Group
    Kalamazoo, MI
    269-341-8442

• edited April 2016
    Amy, if you want to reply directly to my email address listed below, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about our CDIS issues. Thanks

David Reece, BSN, RN
    Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement
    Clinical Improvement
    Novant Health
    office: 336-277-1935
    fax: 336-277-8045
    dreece@novanthealth.org