Unstageable vs. unable to stage?? That is the question

Hi,

I have a person in quality educating our MD's and WCON that unable to stage is different than unstageable. I want to make sure I am not going out of my mind because I see these as being the same. Is there anything out these that documents this is true?? Thanks

Ronna Mahlen, RN, BSN, C-CDS
UW Valley Medical Center
Renton, WA 98055

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Ronna,

I think this is a confusing issue for many people but important to get right. I found this CC that might help:

Chapter 12: Skin/subcutaneous tissue coding guidelines 10/1/2008

Coding Clinic, Fourth Quarter 2008 Page: 252 to 254 Effective with discharges: October 1, 2008

2) Unstageable pressure ulcers

Assignment of code 707.25, Pressure ulcer, unstageable, should be based on the clinical documentation. Code 707.25 is used for pressure ulcers whose stage cannot be clinically determined (e.g., the ulcer is covered by eschar or has been treated with a skin or muscle graft) and pressure ulcers that are documented as deep tissue injury but not documented as due to trauma. This code should not be confused with code 707.20, Pressure ulcer, stage unspecified. Code 707.20 should be assigned when there is no documentation regarding the stage of the pressure ulcer.

Thanks for raising the question and I look forward to more input from others,

Mark
    MARK LEBLANC, RN, MBA, CCDS
    DIRECTOR CDI SERVICES

952-353-3505
    m.leblanc@thewilshiregroup.net