CDI process ICD-10

I have to ask may seem like a stupid question but here goes:
So we still do paper CDCI worksheets at our facility and still have half paper charts, our progress notes are not electronic yet. So with this said we dont have the electronic CDI program either. IF anyone else is in this position, you may can help me.
So when we do our worksheets do we still just use the same DRG's (that is what we have been putting on our worksheets for the PRX DX, or should we change and use the ICD-10 code for the PDX diagonsis, what is everyone else doing?

Deb

Comments

• The process for getting to the DRG hasn't changed. Other than a few changes in DRG definitions from CMS (such as elimination of DRG 237-238 and addition of DRG 270-274), some shifts in DRGs due to where the procedures now align, and some changes in the coding guidelines (such as SIRS + infection no longer equates automatically to sepsis), everything is the same. You get to your DRG the same way you always have: principal diagnosis + secondary diagnosis of the highest severity + principal procedure. This is no different whether you have a manual process or an electronic process. The difference now is in the ICD-10 codes you attach to those diagnoses and procedures. How are you getting your codes and your DRGs now?

Renee

Linda Renee Brown, RN, MA, CCDS, CCS, CDIP
    Director, Clinical Documentation
    Tanner Health System
  • I have been using a Strategizer. I took all the ICD-10 training and understand the difference in the codes/structure and MCC/CC list will change. Just wondering if we still use the same DRG ( I had thought so). I also took a coding test for ICD-10, passed thankful to say. Just wondering what other CDI's are doing.

Thanks,
    Deb
  • edited April 2016
    We are using ICD-10

Marty
    Temple Health