Sepsis criteria

I am just wondering if anyone has the lactic acid level on their queries as one of the criteria for sepsis. If so, what is the level you use?

Thank you!

Comments

• According to the new core measures for sepsis, a lactate > 2 is evidence of severe sepsis and a lactate > 4 is evidence of septic shock.

As far as what I would put on queries, if there are associated clinical signs of sepsis, I would just include the lactate level elevated above facility normals, in the sepsis query.

This is a great little lactate FAQ from an EM physician.
    http://emcrit.org/wp-content/uploads/lactate-faq.pdf

Renee

Linda Renee Brown, RN, MA, CCDS, CCS, CDIP
    Director, Clinical Documentation
    Tanner Health System
  • Excellent references

Paul Evans
    Sent from iPad2

• You may find this useful: This table does NOT represent the coding rules for any condition, rather is a concise compilation of some indications of the condition.

[cid:image001.png@01D12B50.D7A86350]

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CCDS

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation & Coding Integrity

Sutter West Bay

633 Folsom St., 7th Floor, Office 7-044

San Francisco, CA 94107

Cell: 415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• Renee,

Thank you so much for the information!! I really appreciate the help!!
  • Thank you very much Dr. Gold for the information you've provided! It is so nice to have a source we know we can get good, dependable information!!
  • Paul,

Thank you very much for this resource! I will definitely use it!!
  • edited March 2016
    I have not seen it either...
    Thanks, Dr. Gold!

Anna Rozhkovskaya, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P
    Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement
    Memorial Healthcare System
    Health Information Management Department
    2990 Executive Way, Miramar, Fl 33025
    (954)276-9957 Office
    (954)265-6974 Mobile 
    (954)441-9459 Fax

• I neglected to earlier provide definitions we use for this topic. I am aware SIRS no longer codes directly to sepsis.

Definitions:

· SIRS – Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome – Two or more of the following: Body temperature >38 ◦C or 90 beats/min; Respiratory rate >20 breaths/min or hyperventilation with a PaCO2 less than 32 mmHg; White blood cell count >12000/mm3, 10% immature neutrophils.2

· Bacteremia – Presence of viable bacteria in the blood.2

· Sepsis – Infection plus systemic manifestations of infection1. SIRS with a confirmed infectious process.2

· Severe Sepsis – acute organ dysfunction or tissue hypoperfusion secondary to infection1

· Septic Shock – severe sepsis plus hypotension not reversed with adequate fluid resuscitation or blood lactate >4 mmol/L.1

· Hypotension – sepsis-induced hypotension defined as a systolic blood pressure (SBP) 2- to 3-fold) from baseline

Less than 0.5 ml/kg per hour for more than 12 hours

3c

Increase in serum creatinine to more than 300% (> 3-fold) from baseline (or serum creatinine of more than or equal to 4.0 mg/dl [≥ 354 μmol/l] with an acute increase of at least 0.5 mg/dl [44 μmol/l])

Less than 0.3 ml/kg per hour for 24 hours or anuria for 12 hours

Modified from RIFLE (Risk, Injury, Failure, Loss, and End-stage kidney disease) criteria. Only one criterion (creatinine or urine output) has to be fulfilled to qualify for a stage. b200% to 300% increase = 2- to 3-fold increase. cGiven wide variation in indications and timing of initiation of renal replacement therapy (RRT), individuals who receive RRT are considered to have met the criteria for stage 3 irrespective of the stage they are in at the time of RRT.

· Acute renal insufficiency - The same definition as acute kidney injury, yet the rise of creatinine or fall of urine output fails to meet the acute kidney injury criteria. (Srisawat N., et.al. Modern Classification of Acute Kidney Injury. Blood Purification 2010;29:300–307.)
    · Urosepsis: Defined only as a “simple” UTI. (AHA – Coding Clinic)

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation & Coding Integrity

Sutter West Bay

San Francisco, CA 94107

Cell: 415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• We use elevated lactate as only one possible indicator of sepsis, bearing in mind that multiple clinical issues can elevated lactate, and also bearing in mind that pts with normal lactate may be septic. We built our local definitions and query forms for Sepsis with input from a physician that is a signatory to the 2012 Surviving Sepsis Guidelines.

I certainly agree to issue a query based solely on one lab value would not be Best Practice; but, I must also state that all of our clinical advisors and ICU staff believe elevated lactate is a very useful prognostic tool.

If a pt meets criteria for Sepsis consistent with the accepted criteria in Surviving Sepsis 2012, we have been advised to issue a query to either confirm the potential condition and/or ascertain if any sepsis, if present, is causing any acute organ dysfunction (Severe Sepsis) given the coding of Severe Sepsis impacts multiple quality metrics and mortality scores.

The queries as issued in a 'neutral fashion' w/o any expectations of a particular response; I'd hope that no physician would be unduly 'influenced' by an invalid query given the responding MD is the expert visa vie recognition of clinical terms.

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation & Coding Integrity
    Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    Cell:  415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• edited March 2016
    You rock, Paul. When it's done right, the results will be good. Keep it up.

Robert S. Gold, MD
    CEO, DCBA, Inc
    4611 Brierwood Place
    Atlanta, GA 30360
    (770) 216-9691 (Office)
    (404) 580-0204 (Cell)

• Thanks, Dr. G.

Certainly this is one of the most complicated (and controversial) issues in our current scope of practice. The more we read about lactate levels, AKI< SIRs without Sepsis, and so forth, the better in that we need to be have conversations with clinicians that are compliant AND congruent w/ current and generally accepted Best Practice. It is certainly no small task, but that is what makes this endeavor challenging and rewarding.

Paul

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation & Coding Integrity
    Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    Cell:  415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• I just love these discussions!! Helps me to know whether I'm on the right track! Thank you all so much!