pyruia

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to their institution is handling the pyuria dx - if that is all that is documented, not UTI, and perhaps the pt was treated empirically with antibiotics, colony counts come back low, perhaps contaminated? Are you all querying for UTI or just coding pyruia?
I thought I recently read something about this topic recently. I am not sure if it was on talk or another source. Thanks !

Jamie Dugan RN, CCDS

3563 Philips Highway
Building A Suite 108
Jacksonville, Florida 32207

----------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: This message is confidential, intended for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is (i) proprietary to the sender, and/or,(ii) privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable Florida and federal law, including, but not limited to, privacy standards imposed pursuant to the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"). Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any applicable privilege. Thank you in advance for your compliance with this notice.

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Pyuria is one of the "reasonable clinical options" we offer in addition to asymptomatic bacteriuria, contamination, colonization, unable to clinically determine when UTI is documented or a UA is positive but the patient is asymptomatic.

One of our esteemed CMOs who is also a CCDS gave us some education which is supported by the SHEA society and Choosing Wisely: American Geriatrics Society #5
    We are overtreating UTIs and people get CDiff (and may expire).
    CAUTIs are often CA-ASBs (Catheter Associated Asymptomatic Bacteriuria) not HACs.

Studies show tha tup to 80% of UTIs diagnosed and treated in advanced dementia patients are not symptomatic UTIs and do not warrant antibiotic therapy. What if this was your parent or family member?

Smith PW, Bennett G, Bradley S, et al. SHEA/APIC guideline: Infection Prevention and Control in the long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control 2008; 36:504-535. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2008.06.001

Nicolle LE, Bradley S, Colgan R, rice J, Schaeffer A, Hooton T. Infectious Disease Society of america guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults. Clin Infect Dise 2005; 40:643-654.

Charlie Morell in collaboration with Dr. Craig McAskill.