CDI for obstetrics

Hi, I work in a small rural hospital with a large amount of OB cases. We have a Level II Special Care nursery. Does anybody do CDI for moms and babies? We have been reviewing these, and I'm finding almost zero query opportunities in this specialty. We just might not have the acuity here to make a difference. Anyone that is really, really bad is flown out to Phoenix. Any insights? Thanks!

Mandy Rogers RN, Lead CDS

Comments

• I have been asked to provide MD Education APR-DRG with ROM ranking to my OB/GYN staff, too - does anyone have any presentation(s) or material they could share for this subset of patients? The terminology and coding rules is very specific for this group of patient.

Thanks for any help!

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CCDS

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation
    Sutter West Bay
    633 Folsom St., 7th Floor, Office 7-044
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    Cell:  415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• Thank you, Karen! As a side note, there was also an excellent overview of neonate risk factors in a fairly recent ACDIS Journal written by James Kennedy, MD, CCS.

It was a mini-documentation/CDI guide for the pediatric population. Mandy, suggest you take a peek? I found it helpful.

Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• Thank you Karen and Paul! I was afraid I have been completely wasting my time with these OB/newborn reviews!
    Mandy Rogers RN, Lead CDS
  • Jeff..great feedback, and much appreciated.

Paul

Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org