coding a central line

When coding a central line and the tip is in the right atrium, the DRG moves to the surgical side. Is this correct? Our coder can not find another way to code this.

Comments

• 02H633Z insertion of infusion device into right atrium perc approach is not moving my DRG. What is your pdx?

Sent
  • edited May 2016
    Actually it was a central line exchange, primary dx Sepsis, here's what was coded:

02PA33Z Removal of Infusion Device from Heart, Percutaneous Approach
    02H633Z Insertion of Infusion Device into Right Atrium, Percutaneous Approach

Denise Hunt, RN
    CDI Manager
    Jackson Madison County General Hospital
    office 731-541-4642

Notice: (1) The foregoing is not intended to be a legally binding or legally effective electronic signature. (2) This message may contain legally privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify me, disregard the message, and delete the message immediately. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

• The removal moves to surgical DRG. Try, 02PAX3Z removal external approach, which I'm sure it is.

Sent
  • edited May 2016
    What a mess this has created. This should not be held against the providers. And I still believe in Santa Claus!