Sepsis 3

I am wondering when your hospitals are starting to apply Sepsis 3 criteria?

Comments

• We have worked with our quality  and UR teams with this trying to meet core measures as well as adopting the new criteria. We adopted the Sepsis-3 definition as of May and are querying when clinical indicators are not met. MD's have been educated and continue to be educated. We got our first Sepsis-3 denial in May as well. Everyone is theoretically on board but of course this is complicated from a clinical perspective. It will be a long process, but i think we are well on our way.

Katy
  • I've met with our QI team a couple of times.  Do you have CDI in the ER?  It seems here that the biggest struggle they are having is the iv fluid requirement in the ER
  • at our facility our CDI team is not responsible for ensuring that the treatment associated with Core Measures is carried out. The Core Measures issue and Sepsis-3 are separate issues as the core measure is based off of Sepsis-2. Our QMRN's set up a team with pharmacy, nursing, MD's, ED dept, etc to develop a Care Process Model for the Core Measure. They have been incharge of education as well as developing care plans, order sets, etc to manage the core measure. I attend those meetings but mainly as a coding/documentation resource. That doesnt mean we are meating the Core Measure. As far as I know, the Core Measure compliance rate for bascailly all faciliites is very low. This is a very hard measure to meet.

Katy
  • thanks Katy for your input.  Sometimes I find it difficult to keep within my realm and not stray into areas that are not mine to manage!!