Coding by DRG Expert alone?

Are there other CDI programs who are working without computer assisted coding programs, using only the DRG Expert book?

Comments

• I have done both, I learned To DRG initially from the the DRG expert and now I interim code to get the DRG from the 3m program. It was from  Two different hospitals . They both had 3 m but the only difference was one of them was used 3m as a last alternative when finding your DRG from the book.
    Computer assisted took longer and can sometimes stray you from your DRG since some coding is involved to get to the DRG. This also takes away time from other CDI duties and going on the floors etc. Computer assistants is really not needed.
  • I have used computer assistance programs previously. Currently I use the DRG expert and the 3M encoder.  The only thing I miss with the software are some of the decision trees.
  • We just converted from DRG Expert after 5 years to a program with an embedded end coder. I only used 3M if I couldn't figure out the DRG from the book. Think this is the way to start in CDI. It certainly made me stronger to look thinks up in the Expert.
  • I believe we must code in real-time using an encoding device that derives the SOI/ROM data, as well as the MS-DRG.  DRG computation can be difficult.   Also, there are times one must use the book to properly code conditions and PCS procedures...there are mapping errors in some of the commercial software.