Malnutrition Denials

We are starting to get some denials regarding malnutrition.  Reason for denial for severe protein calorie malnutrition is because patients BMI was not less than 16. We use ASPEN criteria and my appeal is that BMI is not a part of ASPEN. Seems as if denial reason is based on a mixture of ASPEN and WHO criteria because both criteria are referenced in the denial letter. Anyone experience same? Any advice?

Comments

• We are starting to get some denials regarding malnutrition.  Reason for denial for severe protein calorie malnutrition is because patients BMI was not less than 16. We use ASPEN criteria and my appeal is that BMI is not a part of ASPEN. Seems as if denial reason is based on a mixture of ASPEN and WHO criteria because both criteria are referenced in the denial letter. Anyone experience same? Any advice?

•  

Suggest you view this report : http://go.usa.gov/x962B.   This is a link to a recent OIG incident with an excellent site rebuttal.

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCDS

• Thank you for an excellent example of a rebuttal for severe malnutrition.  This rebuttal hits on many important elements of correct coding and the importance of correct coding through-out the Industry.  This Rebuttal would be hard to discredit in any shape or form as it elaborates on how and why we need consistency in Coding for statistical information and emphasizes how the codes that are applied ultimately affect patient care in the United States and the World.  The Rebuttal also hits on the laws/guidelines that govern Coding and Reporting and is very well written.  Impressive!  I really hope more Health Care Providers/Institutions would dedicate their resources to fight these type of denials and not just "roll over," and accept these ludicrous reasons for denying well coded diagnoses and procedures.

As a Coder and CDI Professional for over 25 years I am very disturbed how Payers can dictate how we code based on their own set of rules and guidelines that often have no merit.

Thank you for the opportunity to read such an impressive letter (Rebuttal).

Jill Benjamin-Gill, CCS, CCDS, CDIP 
  • Jill.  I concur 100% and many in the CDI profession face such issues regarding denials.  I, too, believe, we need to issue a rebuttal, if appropriate.

Paul Evans, RHIA

• edited July 2017

If we think it is severe, we make sure the dietician is seeing the patient and puts severe malnutrition in their notes and the evidence of it. We have had denials overturned :)

Leah Savage, MSN, RN, CCDS

• We recently had a denial for malnutrition.  Our dietitian saw the patient, we had documented weight loss, treatment, everything met the diagnosis of severe malnutrition, etc.  The auditor came back stating we did not have documented percentage of weight loss (we sent this twice), there were no albumin levels done (which are not suppose to be factored in now), and the patient had other contributing chronic conditions.  How are we suppose to appeal when it is like these auditors do not even look at the documentation we are sending?  
  • Unfortunately the auditors are going to issue these types of denials along with the respiratory failure one you cited in another post...it's what they do! They twist criteria or make up criteria for their benefit. We've had AKI denied due to "The patient's Cr not rising 3 times from normal/baseline"! Make sure your letters are on time and continue to appeal until you cannot!

Jeff

• Jeff:  At a certain point, one can only hope Senior Executives take such issue to formal legal process rather than dealing with an auditor that would not accept rationale criteria, such as KDIGO.   Judging by comments on our site, this is a common source of frustration 'across the land'.

Paul

• Jeff:  At a certain point, one can only hope Senior Executives take such issue to formal legal process rather than dealing with an auditor that would not accept rationale criteria, such as KDIGO.   Judging by comments on our site, this is a common source of frustration 'across the land'.

Paul

Very true Paul!
  • edited August 2017

One thing that needs to be addressed is the myth of normal reference ranges.   The specific reference range is much less important than a patients deviation from baseline.   

For example, if your baseline BP runs 90/45 (like my wives does), you are not really hypotensive at a bp of 88/43.  However if your normal BP (untreated) runs 180/90 (like mine does) you could actually be having elevated lactate levels and signs of shock with a bp of 100/60, at least until your body compensates and readjusts. 

To wit.....an absolutely value setting of BMI for a measurement of malnutrition is just wrong.  Plain and simple, period, there really is no debate.

One person can be severely malnourished with a BMI of 23 (if their baseline was 35) while another person may actually not be malnourished with a BMI of 16 (if their baseline was 17).    The number by itself is meaningless...as are most lab values and diagnostic criteria, without putting it into the context of the patient.

To prove the point further, read the entire KDIGO paper....it says you can have AKI while still falling within the normal "reference range" if you have a moderate deviation (onset within 48 hours) from your baseline levels (if known).   Having an AKI while still being in the normal reference range sounded strange to me so I ran it by an nephrologists and found out sure enough...that is a legitimate diagnosis based on a known baseline of the patients functioning (pretty much ignoring the "normal reference ranges").

I think one day soon we will learn that "normal reference ranges" are basically garbage as diagnostic criteria, little more than a starting point when we have a completely unknown patient and unknown clinical scenario.