Moving to service line CDI assignments

Good Afternoon All - I am looking for some feedback on facilities that are moving to or are currently working on a service line based model. success? Challenges? Anyone use Epic as their EHR  - how did you accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• Hello rroeber, 

Historically at our facility our CDI program was based on service line and speciality units (Ortho, Neuro/Trauma, Telemetry, Oncology, etc) which also coincides with the service line education for the providers. We do use Epic and it was based on patient lists of the units per CDS. 

We are now using CDI Technology that prioritize the greatest opportunity of patients to appear for the CDS. Since using service line model, CDS were not too experienced with various conditions and querying provider groups since the familiarity of documentation practices were not typically viewed. In a way this was a pitfall to having dedicated service line assignments and education for providers. 

With new CDI technology it broadens the scope and view of all service lines as viewing all different conditions and patients on all floors/service lines making it recognizable to query when opportunities do/do not exist. 

Today, we still partially have service line assignments since we also round, participate in discharge rounds with case management, and are now attempting to round with providers. Although, we are considering in rotating assignments periodically so that each CDS has a flare of each service provided. 

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me directly via email. 

Peter
    pgampon@queens.org
  • Thank you so much - I may take you up on that offer!
  • Our team uses the service line based model and we have found it to be very successful.  Transitioning to ICD-10 was much easier, because we had nurses that focused on their particular service lines and code changes. 

We have since cross trained the nurses with different services lines, so we have at least 2-3 nurses per service line that can help with chart reviews and queries.

I would be happy to discuss any questions that you may have or discuss "best practices". 

Thanks,

Marquetta

mothompson@uabmc.edu  

• Hi Marquetta, 

That's great that service lines worked for your organization. If I may ask - what training strategies did you have to cross train the nurses to different service lines? I am finding that case studies and peer query reviews are where we are starting... any thoughts or suggestions to this as I am thinking my organization will want to have cross training as well. 

Thank you, 
    Peter
    pgampon@queens.org
  • Peter,

We utilize Nuance for our education and CDI, so we have access to their educational materials.  What has been very helpful is that we have encouraged the nurses to work up patients on the various service lines and use the assigned nurse as a resource. The nurses have been great with helping each other to learn what diagnosis to look for, frequent query opportunities, etc.  This is especially helpful during the summer months and vacation for coverage.

Thanks,

Marquetta