The removal of "Hematochezia" from ICD-10

I have had more than 1 doctor express frustration with not being able to code Hematochezia as a diagnosis.  They say that the option of "Melena" is not accurate and are forced to have to explain the difference in their notes.  I have looked online and in the Coding Guidelines and can't find an explanation for why this diagnosis was removed.  Any information would be appreciated so I can help my docs understand this a little better.

Comments

• Indeed.

We don't do a very good job of complaining about this in our instruction either (though I assure you, i make up for it with plenty of complaining elsewhere).

Hematochezia refers to fresh bleeding while melena is black tarry stool which is not fresh blood.

Why they are combined.... that is a question for the coordination and maintenance committee on ICD 10
  • Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping for someone to give me a reason for hematochezia's deletion, but I don't think there is one out there to be had!  I am presenting this topic at the next Resident Huddle and really wanted to give them a good answer. 
  • You may drive yourself crazy (as I have).  

This is but one of hundreds (maybe thousands) of such problems with ICD 10....i quit trying to figure out "why' they have all these problems long ago and have switched to just trying to keep people informed.  
  • Hmmm...I don't necessarily need hundreds of examples, but my Morning Resident Huddle presentation on the removal of hematochezia was a hit and I was just thinking this morning..."I wonder what other (dare I say stupid) code changes are out there since ICD10 came out ?".  If you could possibly relay even a couple of them, I will be the "bomb" with these young residents, and you will be my new best CDI "buddy".