Encephalopathy

Would you query type of encephalopathy if there is only physician documentation of dx with criteria not met?

Comments

• Sounds like a clinical validation query may be in order. 

When you say the criteria is not met, we’re they not confused? 
  • Pt presented to ER with resp distress and ams. She was intubated and remains on vent now day 2. I guess what my question is would you query for type of encephalopathy without clinical validation. For example: no documentation of improved mental status for toxic/metabolic encephalopathy. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

• Encephalopathy can be complicated, and I am not sure I understand the question.   There are several excellent resources on the topic available via the ACDIS website that can be found by using the search feature.  There was an excellent presentation at the 2018 Conference that can be found by searching in the post conference materials.  Dr. James Kennedy wrote a comprehensive article in the Journal, as well.  All can be found with search feature.

Paul

• So, seems as though more information is needed regarding the AMS.  What was going on prior to intubation?  What was the cause of the resp distress and ams?  Using the resources that Paul has cited, then maybe you would have enough to query?  (resp distress and ams caused by poisoning - toxic enceph?) I don't think you necessarily need to have documentation of improved status provided that altered is not the baseline.  What if the patient died and improvement never happens?