Hemangioma of Liver

Hello Colleagues,

Need some coding advise on how Hemangioma of Liver should be coded.  I mismatch with my coder who used D18.03 Hemangioma of Intra Abdominal Structures.  I used D18.09 Hemangioma of other sites.  My argument is the Liver is an organ and not considered a structure: "An intra-abdominal structure is composed of a layer of mesothelium supported by thin layer of connective tissue, this structure supports the abdominal organs".  I have tried to Google for advise and cannot find any definitive coding clinic/answer.

Any thoughts from the group?

Sincerely,

Kate Sammons, BS, RN, ACM, CCDS

CDI, Northwest Community Hospital

Arlington Hts, IL  60004

ksammons@nch.org

Comments

• Have I stumped the crowd?  No response to this coding issue.

Kate Sammons, CCDS

NCH.org

• Lol, no stumping Kate! it is D18.09 Hemangioma of other sites, this is where hemangioma liver with other organs are listed. hope that helps.

OJ Peleowo MD, CDIP, CCS 
  • Thank you Dr. Peleowo!  I will share with my group.
  • Just curious, was there any change in the DRG or SOI/ROM by using D18.09 vs. D18.03
  • Yes, in this particular case, they performed a liver resection, hence if I go with D18.09, the DRG is 982 vs D18.03 which would then be DRG 357.

What is confusing me is the code term "intra-abdominal structure", which I don't consider the liver to be a structure.  I could not find any coding guidelines regarding hemangioma of the liver.

Kate

• Yes, I'd consider it an intra-abdominal structure also. Might be a good question to submit to Coding Clinic via Coding Clinic Advisor. If you do submit, please keep us updated when you receive a response.
  • jwmorris1, confused, you Do consider the liver an intra-abdominal structure?

• Sorry, typed the response wrong :-)
  • Hi all,

I believe the correct code is D18.09  Went to ICD-10data.com, pulled up the code and in their listing, approximate synonyms they list hemangioma of the liver specifically.  This does put it in DRG 316-314.

I looked it up in the code book as well I did not see any specific mention of "liver".

I don't consider the Liver an intra-abdominal structure and would consider the intra-abdominal structure to be "supporting" of the organs.  I hope that makes sense.

Interesting conversation, thank you.

Lori Harbison

• Does anyone have any references to support the D18.09 vs D18.03?

Kate

• Nothing more than the code book listing specified site NEC as D18.09

I'd send to Coding Clinic