CDI Training and CDI Software

We are just beginning to expand our CDI team from 2.5 FTE's to 15. We are debating between hiring a third party to train our new employees or also wondered if it would be more beneficial to have one of our CDI nurses get the training and then be our primary educator as new staff members are added. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, we are looking at different CDI software: 3M 360, Optum CDI, Huron, and Chartwise. We use Epic and the coders use the 3M end coder and that probably won't change any time soon. I'm not sure that 3M seems like the best product but it is the only software that interfaces with the end coder. Our CDI nurses don't like the idea of having a different working coding system. Has anyone else been in this situation? What software do you think is the best?

Feel free to email me: sarah_wicks@urmc.rochester.edu

Comments

• First of all, Congrats on expanding your team by such a large number! I know you are very excited! As far as the training I guess it would depend on how long the 2.5 CDI staff have been in their current roles and how fast you plan to add the additional staff. I think some would suggest that you all go through the training with the new staff as a refresher, preview of what education they are receiving (you will still need to supplement this most likely) and as a bonding/teambuilding experience.

I am a 3M fan because CDI and Coding call get the same information, the CAC is the same, they can see CDI's working DRG, etc.. I am sure you are carefully evaluating the pros and cons of each software. There is an ACDIS whitepaper on choosing vendors if you want to take a look.

Jeff

• I have been dealing with this issue for a number of years.  We have EPIC, and were able to develop the CDI Review module in EPIC - the CDS concurrently reviews in EPIC, sends a query from EPIC and can capture in the CDI Review their work on a day to day basis.  The problem with 3M 360 for CDI is that the CDI team is now less efficient,, having to work between 2 systems, as well as the CAC component identifies what is documented, but doesn't utilize a CDS's critical thinking, analytical skills to identify what is unclear, unspecific, inconsistent or missing from the provider documentation.  There is also the capability to "imbed" a stand alone encoder into the EPIC CDI Review for ease of continuity for the CDS in their day to day reviews.  I would follow up with your EPIC team as there is considerable functionality for the CDI Review module as well as the identification and development of metrics reports.

Carol

• As a travel CDI consultant I have worked with many departments onboarding staff.  A structured program and dedicated staff who is a good educator is best for any department  - there are a lot of companies that provide that resource, of course they will want you to purchase their software also.  As with all - there are pro's and con's with each -

I have worked with the 3M product for the past 10 years and I find this is the BEST use of the CDI's skills - the CAC assists in identifying the validity of the "target words" found in the record and gives the CDI the opportunity to validate, change the pathway for accuracy instead of unspecified and actually do a more thorough review using all the tools for the coding guidelines and references for CDI's to know and understand why some things must be coded in a certain manner and sequence.   It is the one program that has strengthened the communication between coding professionals and CDI's using the same system.  The data can be imported from a variety of EMR's for ease of use.

• Thank you all for your response. Has anyone had any experience with Chartwise?
  • I have been using Chartwise for a couple of years as a CDI instructor and find it very easy use and  to navigate.

I also agree with Jeff about not just sending the newest members of your team to training, but to also send the CDI who already work at your facility. there is a huge advantage in having everyone hear the same information and have discussions about areas were there might be some subjectivity.

After the initial training is completed that is when I believe that having a CDI educator would be beneficial. There are many different opportunities out there for CDI education.  I will suggest you really look into different programs, do your homework talk to other organizations and see what they have used and how successful they found it, what were the pros and cons. how were issues handled?  you need to decide what would work better for your facility, having your employees attend a class or having the education come to you.  and I do agree having everyone take the class together is a team building experience. Attendees in my classes love the fact that everyone is together getting to know each other, building trust and sharing experiences.

• I have been using Chartwise for a couple of years as a CDI instructor and find it very easy use and  to navigate.

I also agree with Jeff about not just sending the newest members of your team to training, but to also send the CDI who already work at your facility. there is a huge advantage in having everyone hear the same information and have discussions about areas were there might be some subjectivity.

After the initial training is completed that is when I believe that having a CDI educator would be beneficial. There are many different opportunities out there for CDI education.  I will suggest you really look into different programs, do your homework talk to other organizations and see what they have used and how successful they found it, what were the pros and cons. how were issues handled?  you need to decide what would work better for your facility, having your employees attend a class or having the education come to you.  and I do agree having everyone take the class together is a team building experience. Attendees in my classes love the fact that everyone is together getting to know each other, building trust and sharing experiences.

Yes, I definitely agree with you about the education piece and I think that's the model that we are thinking of going with.

I would love to hear more about your experience with Chartwise. Do you mind if I send you an email?

Thanks,

Sarah

• Has anyone used Nuance CDE One for their CDI program? We currently use Nuance CDMP guide inter-faced with Epic and our coders use 3M end coder. If you have CDE One, do you also have Dragon One Medical for your providers. We are looking at upgrading our software and any input would be appreciated! 
    Thanks!
    Susan