Remote CDI

Does your organization allow CDI staff to work remotely?  If so, how many days per week?

Comments

• As a contract CDI,  I have had the opportunity to both work remotely and establish programs that allowed the remote  CDI role.  The first thing I need to make clear is there was ALWAYS a CDI presence on site.  The On Site CDI role and responsibility was to be the face of CDI and interact with providers, offer education and follow up on query responses as needed.   I assisted in setting up a team of 8 CDI's who were able to work remote once they established the ability to independently meet the metrics and have a good response rate to the queries; this site rotates so one CDI is on site each week - unless it is their assigned week on site they conduct their reviews remotely.  In addition to my "day job"  as a travel consultant I also work remote on weekends to assist my local hospital with CDI reviews - it eases the primary CDI's Monday workload and allows me a chance to stay in touch with the system.  I have had recruiters reach out for remote opportunities at various facilities however, it usually involves some time on site - I never pursued these opportunities so I cannot confidently report the expectation or extent of remote versus on site. I personally feel, if the CDI can demonstrate a good grasp of the role in addition to maintaining metrics independently the option should be available - of course the reality is the presence of CDI on site is a visual reminder to the providers that we are still watching  the documentation and doing our job and ultimately it is up to the facility what the role expectations are.

• mponitz said:
    Does your organization allow CDI staff to work remotely?  If so, how many days per week?

We have 2 CDI nurses who work remotely and the rest of the team is in the hospitals. 
  • Our program has moved 100% remote.  We have been able to maintain a Best Practice program.  On boarding new staff has been a challenge.  Staff come on campus quarterly for education.
  • Working on establishing an  written agreement with our at home CDS staff here in New York state.  Does anyone have  information on what needs to be in this agreement for the regs to be followed.