Yeast UTI

Good Morning,

If a urine culture is positive for yeast (just says 'yeast'), would you code B37.49 (Other urogenital candidiasis)?  Our coder states the encoder leads her candidiasis, but I am wondering if that is correct based on this information I found in a search.  It is not a coding clinic and is from 2008 so references ICD9 codes.  I don't know if this is accurate or still applies.  Thoughts?  

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/Coding-Urinary-Tract-Infections.aspx 

UTI due to Candidal yeast requires one code, 112.2, Candidiasis of other urogenital sites. However, UTI due to noncandidal yeast requires two codes. Code first the appropriate UTI code, followed by 117.9, Other and unspecified mycoses.

Thank you!

Betty

Comments

• what exactly is the documentation in the record? Just a positive lab value? OR do you have an actual diagnosis?

Katy

• Sorry - should have included that info..He is documenting "UTI with yeast".  In this case would you clarify for candidal yeast, or is that necessary in order to code B37.49 (Other urogenital candidiasis)?
  • Asked AHA CC and this is their response:

This letter is in response to your request for assistance coding urinary tract infections (UTI) due to fungus, yeast and candida.

Based solely on the question submitted with your request, follow the instruction note to "Use additional code B95-B97), to identify infectious agent" at code N39.0, Urinary tract infection, site not specified. Assign code B49, Unspecified mycosis, for UTI due to unspecified fungus.

For UTI due to yeast and candida, follow the instruction in the Index to Diseases at "Infection, yeast," to "(see also Candidiasis)." Assign code B37.49, Other urogenital candidiasis. Candidiasis is a common fungal infection caused by yeasts that belong to the genus Candida.