Respiratory failure vs. sepsis sequencing in expired patient

Help!

I have a patient who came into ED from a "workshop" who had aspirated. He had documented "profound" Resp failure and was immediately intubated in ED. He subsequently died. (I also have the diagnoses of Sepsis and Aspiration Pneumonia).

I used RESP FAILURE as my PDX and DRG 208 with mortality of 25.4%. The coder is telling me Sepsis "has to-in her understanding" be sequenced first. Her DRG 871 w mortality 14.8.
I have explained Sepsis only HAS to the sequenced prior to the actual infection, but per coding guidelines, the resp failure meets criteria to be PDX, and since my pt died I really want to capture the greatest mortality-and the documentation and clinical picture of the patient supports this.

Input? Help?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Any thoughts on this???  I have the same scenario.... Doctor documents acute resp failure due to PNA and lung CA...  and septic shock.  if the patient didn't get intubated he would of died in the ER.  Is sepsis always sequenced first????  I feel resp failure and  sepsis meets the definition of PDX.  I would sequence resp failure as principle.