Sepsis with acute organ disyfunction

I need some help in determining the best way to assist the providers in correctly documenting a sepsis diagnosis that has accompanying organ failures. This is an ongoing issue/misunderstanding of the physicians. We have sent education and determined that whenever the physician chooses from the EPIC drop down list or long hands "Sepsis with __________ (acute organ dysfunction) that we will issue a query.

It is difficult for me to understand why such a huge entity, such as EPIC, would design this into their drop down list.

In our queries we not longer use "associated WITH" but d/t, 2/2, etc. as to alleviate any confusion of the word with.

Please read my query and response from Dr. below.

My query:

H&P - Sepsis with acute hypoxic respiratory failure d/t pneumonia/COPD exacerbation.

Is Acute respiratory failure associated with Sepsis?

-yes

-no

-other

PHYSICIAN RESPONSE: If the word 'with' does not mean 'associated' please contact OSU IT Dept for them to change codes in Epic.  

Comments

• I think it you want them to use the words due to, because of, secondary to etc. you should use those words in your query. You question " is acute respiratory failure associated with sepsis" is confusing as you use the word with. I would say "is acute respiratory failure due to sepsis?"

• Update: Our providers are starting to use the words "associated with."

This has been a hard transition for them, we had positive results --- finally. We are ecstatic, as we have been querying each and every time they used the term Sepsis "with" acute organ dysfunction. Processes are so important, we just need to keep keep'n on (: