Hospice CMI

Hello,

Does anyone know if the CMI for Hospice cases rolls up into the CMI reported for acute inpatient? We have patients in Hospice beds in our acute inpatient facility. There is nothing that distinguishes them as hospice because the code for the encounter for palliative care and DRG 951 can also be applied to numerous acute inpatient admissions. I am thinking if they are carved out of the acute inpatient CMI, it would have to be by bill type or patient status or some other indicator. Does anyone know or have information on this issue?

Thanks

Linda

Comments

• Depends: How is your hospice care provided?

If a patient is admitted as acute under your Medicare Provider Number for acute care, and transitioned to Hospice Care, but never formally discharged from Acute and then separately admitted to dedicated Hospice care, it all rolls into one encounter.

Someone in your Business Office should be able to tell you how this is billed.

• Thank you. They are all discharged from acute inpatient and then admitted into hospice. I don't think these would be included in the acute input CMI reports. But getting mixed messages. Thank you again. I will talk to our billing.

• You are correct. If formally discharged from acute and then admitted to Hospice, the accounts should be separate. (This also may impact your mortality metrics)

Best...Paul