When did GLIM become accepted criteria to determine Malnutrition

Hi,

We have received 3 denials from a small insurance company (Medicaid provider) that has denied the diagnosis of Severe Protein Calorie Malnutrition based on GLIM criteria. These denials are from 2017 and I don't remember (and can't locate a source of truth) that indicates when GLIM criteria was approved for use.

Thanks for your help,

Thanks,

Patty

Patricia Matson Vitasinski RN CCDS

Manager CDI Quality Improvement

HFHS Clinical Documentation Improvement

Henry Ford Health System

Pvitasi2@hfhs.org

Mobile: (248) 961-2178

Comments

• Hi Patty, I have been working with our physician advisors, compliance, and dietitian managers on this topic for over a year. While I do not believe that GLIM has received as much praise and adoption from the dietitian professional organizations, it is being heavily used by RAC auditors according to CGS administrators. My organization will be diving more into this in the coming months. I believe Dr. Pinson also discussed this during an ACDIS/HCPro webinar titled "GLIM: New global malnutrition definition and it's impact on coding and CDI."

Kind Regards,

Jeanne

• Hi Jeanne and thank you for responding. I agree that GLIM is not as widely accepted but am searching for a date when it was 'accepted' into the Dietitians practice. I think it was 2018 but cannot find any documentation to support that.

I am hoping to appeal the denial based on the dates!

Thanks,

patty

• I found the answer!

1/19/16

Meeting held at the ASPEN Conference: The Global Leadership Conversation: Addressing Malnutrition. 

Key breakthroughs at that meeting led to the development of GLIM 

9/9/16

First full meeting of the GLIM extended working group was held 

2/20/17

GLIM meeting held at the ASPEN Conference

9/11/17

GLIM meeting held at the ESPEN Congress

1/25/18

GLIM meeting held at the ASPEN Conference

9/2/18

GLIM diagnosis criteria first published (ePub)

1/2019

GLIM diagnosis criteria published in the Journal of Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition

Jensen GL, Cederholm T, Correia MI, et al. GLIM Criteria for the Diagnosis of Malnutrition: A Consensus Report From the Global Nutrition Community. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2019;43(1):32-40.

3/18/19

Message from the President of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: 

The GLIM approach includes a set of readily available criteria that can be used in combination with existing diagnostic approaches including the Academy/ASPEN malnutrition consensus characteristics. The GLIM approach does not replace the Academy/ASPEN methodology at this time but may be used in conjunction with it. Efforts are underway to conduct validation studies of the GLIM construct. 

7/1/19

ASPEN Clarifying Document released:

GLIM is fully congruent with established approaches like the Academy/ASPEN criteria and Subjective Global Assessment (SGA). They share multiple variables and are not inconsistent. GLIM, Academy/ASPEN criteria or SGA may be used independently to diagnosis malnutrition. Both the Academy/ASPEN and GLIM approaches are undergoing validation testing.  Building upon the GLIM approach, it may ultimately be possible to derive a minimum dataset of key core criteria that will provide a framework to serve a broad range of practitioners in a variety of clinical nutrition settings.