Requesting opinion and Feedback about Query format

We work in Risk Adjustment Coding, the below format was proposed and as a QA Rept, I'm wondering if we are leading the provider by adding the request for MEAT inside the query verbiage.

Thank you

Query Sample:

The Diagnosis of Unspecified Depression its present in A&P has only the screening "Behavioral Health Review Assessment" as supporting element, please add MEAT for Depression if it was assessed and treated on this day of service.

Tagged:

Comments

• Disappointing 31 views -Not 1 answer!

sincerely thought this forum was better

• I wouldn't describe including MEAT as leading -- HOWEVER, I would definitely spell it out. There are likely a number of providers who won't recognize the acronym.

Though in all honesty, isn't the use of the screening tool satisfy for 'assessment'? Perhaps adding a bit of interpretation or expansion would solidfy the support for reportability.

• Dbutler thanks for your answer

to this comment "isn't the use of the screening tool satisfy for 'assessment'? Perhaps adding a bit of interpretation or expansion would solidfy the support for reportability.

-> yes correct, but in our case the screening tool is not visible to all and doesn't print with the record, that's why his conclusion/assessment aside from using just the tool is needed

• Are you querying for this on inpatient accounts or outpatient?

I would definitely spell out MEAT. We typically say something like "additional clinical indicators are needed to support the diagnosis of _______" please specify additional indicators...typically we give multiple choice responses and include a ruled out, resolved option.