CDI focus

Hello. There have been many changes in healthcare in general in the last year or so. CDI has always been focused on chart accuracy and providing proper documentation to support diagnosis that is in the medical record. I have noticed that because of the increase in financial pressures placed on healthcare, health institutions have a higher expectation of CDI reviews and how it affects reimbursement.

I would like to know if your institutions have implemented a change in focus of your CDI programs because of this.

Thank you

Comments

• Good Afternoon, we decided to focus on a valid medical record about 2 years ago. As we started to participate in denial reviews, it really helped the team see where our problems were. With that said, revenue is still very important but education and appropriate documentation will save your institution time and money while preventing back end work. I don't get too concerned about how my vendor benchmarks my institution as I know we have worked extremely hard to prevent "over documentation" and have no idea what the hospitals in my peer group are doing in relation to clinical validation queries, education, and denial prevention. Ongoing audits also help us see where more education is needed. Hope this helps!

• thank you very much.