COVID

Can someone please give me some guidance.   I currently have a chart that I am reviewing that patient  admitted with COVID, pneumonia and respiratory failure.   The patient has developed pulmonary embolus.   On admit CT chest completed showed no PE now several days into admit  patient status changed and repeat CT completed with findings of PE.   I am responsible for sending notifications of any hospital acquired conditions during the stay.   I was asked how this could be considered a HAC since it is a known complication of COVID.     I don't feel a query for POA is relevant in this situation due to was not present on the initial CT.   

I have looked for coding clinics/guidelines to be sure I am correct any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hello. In this case, the first question that comes to my mind is...was there evidence of Covid coagulopathy on admission? Was there an elevated D Dimer? Or any other evidence of coagulopathy? If there is any evidence of coagulopathy on admission, this would provide a link to the Covid, even though you would still have to say POA-N on the PE.