Quality audits

Hello all,

I am developing an audit process for our CDI department. The team is assigned to units within the heath system and the CDS does not follow the patient if they are transferred to another unit. If anyone has a similar structure, can you please share how you audit each CDS for education opportunities/missed queries?

In the past I've only worked with teams who followed the patient from inpt order to DC. It was easy to identify any opportunities and who to provide education to. Having the unit assigned structure I am struggling with accountability.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Good morning,

I have worked in the same situation, where the CDIS was assigned by unit and did not follow the patient to the new unit when transferred. When I did quality audits the CDIS who last reviewed the record was responsible for the entire record.

The CDIS is expected to write and clear and concise review note, and the following CDIS is expected to read it. If it is an exceptionally long LOS, and I found the problem early in the record when the original CDIS should have sent the query, I have gone back to that CDIS to take care of it, but mostly it is the last CDIS to review the record.

Have a great day.

Lori Harbison