Morbid Obesity Criteria

Does anyone have a source they can cite for morbid obesity criteria in terms of BMI >35 with comorbid conditions? I am reading criteria is BMI >35 with 1 or more comorbid condition in some articles and then BMI >35 with a minimum of 2 comorbid conditions in other articles. I have searched the NIH and the CDC website and can't find anything concrete.

Comments

• Hello Annmarie,

Here is an article we published previously on this topic that may be helpful to you. Check out the links as well. -Deanne

• Usually specific criteria for bariatric surgery guidelines are made by payers and facilities who perform it or see Who is a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery? | Patients | ASMBS.

In my files:• Defining Morbid Obesity: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) defines morbid obesity as being 100 pounds or more above the ideal body weight or having a BMI of 40 or greater; or having a BMI of 35 or greater and one or more comorbid conditions.

I also found this in my files which I believe is from 2022, but check :

ASMBS and the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders, which represents 72 countries, convened to update the guidelines. 

Under the new guidelines, anyone with a BMI over 35, regardless of whether they have any health problems, is eligible for weight loss surgery. People with a BMI over 30, which is the official definition of obesity, are also eligible if they have not been able to achieve substantial or long-term weight loss.

Among individuals of Asian descent, the BMI requirement was dropped to 27.5 since they often have weight-related health issues at a lower body mass.

In addition, children and adolescents are now eligible for surgery under the new requirements since there is now data to support the potential benefits.