Decompensated CHF

Do you have to query "decompensated systolic CHF"? Our coders will not code this as acute.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:43 AM
To: Cole, Sharon (PHN/Waco)
Subject: [cdi_talk] To code BMI do you need an associated diagnosis?

I thought I was taught that it was not enough to have a BMI < 19 or >40, that you needed an associated diagnosis such as morbid obesity or cachexia etc.

But when a fellow CDI threw it in the encoder, it will give the CC without an associated diagnosis.

Has this changed?

I was also under the impression that it affected SOI/ROM but don't have access to the APR DRG Grouper.

Thanks
---
CDI Talk is offered for networking purposes. For official rules and regulations related to documentation and coding, please refer to your regulatory source.

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: srcole@phn-waco.org
If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to
leave-cdi_talk-12520175.15e133e2d92ed823c8ef822341213d1b@hcprotalk.com
---
Copyright 2010
HCPro, Inc., 200 Hoods Lane, Marblehead, MA 01945

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    We code decompensated as acute at our facility.
  • edited May 2016
    We query for acute or acute on chronic
  • edited May 2016
    Do you have a coding clinic on that? My coders refuse to code it and I refuse to look like an idiot by asking for clarification. I have found COPD and decomp. 3rd qtr 2002 vol 19, #3, p 18-19. They still say that doesn't include CHF.
  • edited May 2016
    According to the Coding Clinic, 3rd Q 2008, pg 12 the terms exacerbated and decompensated indicated and acute phase of a chronic condition, so the code for acute on chronic can be assigned in the case of CHF.
  • edited May 2016
    YOU are WONDERFUL!!!
  • edited May 2016
    Why Thank You (but I didn't spellcheck in my haste! "indicated and" --> "indicate an" ;) )
  • edited May 2016
    There is a coding clinic that reflects this. I asked this same question several months ago. See attached