thanks

Tracey

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 8:47 AM
To: Carey, Tracey T
Cc: Tammy.Werth@coxhealth.com
Subject: Re: [cdi_talk] CDI Expansion

Tammy,

We have had a couple of cycles of expansion for a variety of reasons. I would caution that one does not want to expand to soon or too fast. If most of the CDS's are not fairly solid, I suspect that can lead to problems. Secondly, expanding too fast is also problematic -- I've found there is a real limit to how many new CDS's we can properly train. This limit is pretty small -- 2 new CDS's were a big challenge (normally have 9, last time I hired had 2 positions that came open).

As far as expanding program targets & goals, sounds like you have some very admirable goals. I am thinking it might be better to expand your staffing first before fully expanding into many of the areas you're considering. Might also be a good idea to slight stagger some of that to allow training and practice cycle to occur on each new area of emphasis.

An (accurate!) working DRG can be very helpful -- helps to focus consideration on the individual pt for benchmarking or comparison on expected length of stay. It can give a real impetus for keeping on the ball for the proactive management of individual patients.

One of the biggest things to keep in mind as you expand either the program size and target population OR expand the role into core measures/other -- make sure to keep an eye on metrics and expectations and adjust accordingly. Reviewing & querying for core measures (for example) would likely have some negative impact on # cases reviewed. Buy in has to be there from administration and support given to staff.

Core measures is an area that I personally get leary about -- concerned that it can be a large sink hole to fall into.

Don

>>> "CDI Talk" 1/28/2012 6:45 AM >>>
Hello everyone,

I manage a CDI program at a 563 bed hospital in Southwest Missouri and am in the process of looking at an expansion of the program and was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback to assist in this process. We currently review all pts with a DRG based payer but I would like to expand out to all inpatient admissions. I am also looking into adding core measures into the documentation we review. Have any of you made an expansion such as this? If so would you share the advantages and disadvantages you have encountered? I also wonder if having a working DRG assigned to each inpatient admission would benefit the organization in evaluating patient throughput if any of you have worked on this I would like to hear the feedback.

Thanks

Tammy

Tammy Werth
CDMP Manager, HIM Documentation Improvement CoxHealth Tammy.Werth@coxhealth.com
Phone: (417) 269-7040
Mobile: (417) 631-0040

CoxHealth - a Top 100 Integrated Health Care Network

COXHEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

---
CDI Talk is offered for networking purposes. For official rules and regulations related to documentation and coding, please refer to your regulatory source.

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: dbutler@pcmh.com
If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to
leave-cdi_talk-10658493.d7a78f19df027783a773a709a7d013d4@hcprotalk.com
---
Copyright 2010
HCPro, Inc., 200 Hoods Lane, Marblehead, MA 01945

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are confidential, may be privileged and may contain copyright material. You may only reproduce or distribute material if you are expressly authorized by us to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email (and any attachments) is unauthorized. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete this e-mail and any copies of it from your system.
==============================================================================

---
CDI Talk is offered for networking purposes. For official rules and regulations related to documentation and coding, please refer to your regulatory source.

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: TTcarey@uams.edu
If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to
leave-cdi_talk-12873828.44c5ef0c6b4110db687ae3e4dc087177@hcprotalk.com
---
Copyright 2012
HCPro, Inc., 75 Sylvan Street, Danvers MA 01923

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message..

Comments