ICD-10

Hi Everyone,

I am working on developing a short facts sheet about IDC-10 to give to the physicians at the next staff meeting. Anyone have any examples they would be willing to share or ideas of what to include. I want to keep it short and sweet to get the best impact.

Thanks,
L. Bohls, RN CDS

Comments

• edited May 2016
    We aren't very involved in ICD 10 as of yet so when you come up with a fact sheet would you please share it with us?
    Thanks
  • edited May 2016
    I will certainly share what I come up with.
  • edited May 2016
    I can't give you indepth but we are currently working on an Education blitz for ICD 10 with our physicians which will feature a fact sheet. One of the areas we will be focusing on is Root Operations. Especially for our surgeons. There are several forms of Terminoloogy which will change definition in ICD 10. For Example: Resection.

More specificity will be key in ICD 10.

I would take a look @ the 2011 ACDIS Conference material on ICD 10. There is quite a bit of useful information there.

NBrunson, RHIA,CCDS
  • To make your limited time worthwhile I would focus on the main concepts of CDI which will become even more important for ICD-10:

- Diabetes and linking the manifestations
    - Acute/chronic and acute on chronic
    - Consistency: insufficiency versus failure (respiratory, renal, etc.)
    - Documenting the etiology of a problem (GI bleed)
    - With GI bleeds including all of the following: acuity, etiology (with anatomical site) and with/without obstruction, perforation, hemorrhage
    - Link between hypertension and: CKD, heart failure, other

The basic concepts that many people are not querying for right now (especially if your program focuses only on CC/MCC or PDx) will gain new importance in ICD-10
  • I just completed the AHIMA ICD-10 certified trainer education in november and just passed my exam last week.
    We are working on ICD-10, but have not began querying on ICD-10 data yet. We are planning on querying on ICD-10 stuff starting about 6mo prior to actual implementation which puts us at about April 2013. Currently, we are more focused on educational needs, identifying problem areas, GEMs, and making sure our process is going to be able to handle the increased queries. Our program is young and really just began ramping up less than a year ago so we have a long ways to go. We are going to try to get approval of an additional CDS in next years budget that can hopefully take some of the weight off and allow more time to be dedicated to ICD-10.

Katy
  • edited May 2016
    Did your facility reimburse that?

Donna Kent, RN, BSN, CCDS
    Manager, Clinical Documentation Integrity Program
    Clinical Quality and Accreditation
    Torrance Memorial Medical Center
    ph.:310 784-6884 fax:310 784-6899
    donna.kent@tmmc.com
  • yes, I was sent by my facility.
  • edited May 2016
    Katy:
    I just got home yesterday from the AHIMA ICD-10 Train the Trainer education. I would be interested in what your plan is for your training of CDI folks in ICD-10. I am not sure if you are a nurse or have an HIM background, but would be interested in your thoughts on how extensive your training will be of the CDI team.
    Linda Haynes, RHIT
    CDIP/CDS Liaison
  • edited May 2016
    Katy

Are you a coder or RN? Can an RN become a certified trainer?

Thanks,

Susan
  • I am an RN with no coding background. However, I work very closely with coding (I believe closer than most CDS'). I do reviews of death charts and other special projects side-by-side with the coding manager. I have ambitiously applied to take my CCS in a few months though (might regret that later!).

As far as a training plan, our hospital is looking to hire an outside company for much of the training. I think the company we are going with is called HCA. I personally believe that we (CDS') will need some CE in anatomy, physiology, and procedures. We intend on looking at the GEMS for our top DRGs and attemting to identify our areas of greatest weakness/impact. My biggest concern currently, is actually just making sure our process can handle the increased demands and query generation that i beleive ICD-10 will cause. We are a small program with only 2 nurses with hopefully another position opening next year so training should be fairly simple to arrange.
  • I also should have mentioned that the other CDS, coding manager and I all did the modules sent by AHIMA for ICD-10 Train the Trainer. We reserved a conference room and all went through it together, discussed it, etc. So, my other CDS has a good general idea of ICD-10 as well (I think).
  • We have contracted with TrustHCS for training for CDI/Coding and other areas of the hospital. We started it in sept. I don't love it for CDI so far, what we have received so far is more tailored to coding, but it is something.
    Our big initiative is ICD-10 Compass (product from the Advisory Board). It allows us to look at current coding and see where our biggest risk is. We hope it provides focus for educating the MDs. We just started it and we are still learning but it is helpful to have the support and they are pushing us forward.
    Also, we are expanding from a 3-person (we were 2 a few months ago) to an 8 person(!!) CDI team as well as hiring a data analyst and ICD-10 manager to help with the Compass program.
    Also, the facility sent our coding manager and I to the AHIMA "Train the Trainer" academy last year.

We are over our heads for sure!

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks so much for your feedback. Our hospital is using 3M-CDIS now waiting for the 360 to arrive. We are using the 3M ICD-10 training modules (22 modules 4hrs per month with completion in Dec 2013) that are tailored to either coding or CDI. We will be kicking off the CDI training tomorrow! I am the lead for ICD-10 and have found the 3M modules an excellent source of learning. They are difficult and very educational. Our team has also taken an A&P course as well.
    I also have initiated a newsletter that allows for transition to ICD-10 as we move closer for providers. Right now we focus on current learning for CDI & Providers.
    I am looking to share an ICD-10 tip of the day or week to share with the CDI team. We are also planning on dual coding (CDI) in the future.
    I am open to any and all suggestions on how others are planning on training CDI teams keeping productivity in mind.

Bring on ICD-10!

Tracy Boldt, RN BSN
    Clinical Documentation ICD-10 CDI Lead
    Phone: 612-873-3281
    Pager: 580-5439

Hennepin County Medical Center
    701 Park Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55415
  • edited May 2016
    Our corporation has entered into a contract with a company that will
    provide online ICD-10 training for all who need it, based on the type of
    job the employee performs. There will also be instructor lead training
    as five of us have attended the AHIMA Train the Trainer class. We hope
    to begin dual coding in October 2013.

We are also currently discussing how we can create templates for
    physicians in our electronic record that will help them with
    documentation.

Linda Haynes, RHIT, CCDS | Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement |
    Legacy Health
    1919 NW Lovejoy | Portland, Oregon 97209 | 503-415-5609 |
    lhaynes@lhs.org
  • edited May 2016
    Late reply to this.
    We have contracted with The Haugen Group. CDI and Coders learn together. We began working with them in Spring 2012. We have had 2 great 3 day workshops. They also reviewed 100 cases in each service and found where we have deficits in ICD-9 documentation and what will be the needs with each service in ICD-10.
    They have a Web-based training module that is fun and easy to use, but that also requires you to comprehend the information. The test questions at the end of each module are not easy and you need to use the ICD-10 codebooks to get the answers. No chance of glazing over during a long lecture and missing pertinent information. All Coders and CDI are doing that piece independently.
    I really like it and have learned a lot. We are starting to incorporate ICD-10 into our queries and education now.
    We don't tell MDs it is for ICD-10:). TMI. They don't need to be bothered with that. We just want their specificity any compliant and non-leading way we can get it.

-Jane