peer to peer review benchmarks

Happy Monday everyone,

I would like to reach out to others regarding peer to peer reviews and benchmarks. Can someone give some input regarding your practice and how you benchmark?

Thank you in advance,

Comments

• Not certain what you are looking for in regards to benchmarks.

I presume you are talking about query audits? or discussing evaulation of the CDI review of a case (not just of a query).

In either case, I have not heard of any benchmarks being offered.

There was an article in the Journal on audits.

I'd think look at two sources for establishing benchmarking. One is to look at trending data internally -- obviously any below the average are not adequate. Might want to take the top half, average those and use that as a benchmark.
    Secondly, look at auditing that might be done with coding, or other areas within your organization and discover what standards are used (for us, coding audits are expected to have a 95% accuracy), then apply if possible.

Finally, some of the elements that you might include in your peer to peer review process might be 'never' events -- such as a finding that a query is leading, or if a new diagnosis is presented in the body of the query question.

Some thoughts ...

Don

• Thanks Don for your response. We have really just started this process w/in the last few months and wanted input from other programs. I believe you spoke about this, or similar, at one of the NCACDIS conferences. Can't remember the exact one, I believe it was last year.

Anyway, thanks for your input!!
  • Yep, the ppt is up on the forms and tools library.
    Don