ICD - 10 CDI Education & Preparation

Curious -- what ways are folks looking at to prepare for ICD-10?

*Consulting services (either part of current CDI consultant, or specific to ICD-10)
*Boot camps
*Books / resources (from AHIMA, HCPRO, others -- any good suggestions?)
*Webinars
*Internet based resources
*Largely didactic / classroom based
*Self-developed (and how was that accomplished?)

And what kind of avenues:
*Case studies
*Focus analysis upon the codes that need the most increased specificity (and how is that analysis conducted?)
*Simple study of ICD-10
*Straight forward practice (conducting CDI reviews now or at some point months BEFORE formal ICD10 implementation)

What else are folks trying & looking toward?

Don

Comments

• Ugh...
    Our facility is mid-size (~250 beds)? And we sent our coding manager (also part of the CDI team) and myself to the AHIMA training. The CDI staff and coding staff are receiving monthly ICD-10 training provided by TrustHCS. Other staff and MD's will also receive training from TrustHCS (if we can get them to attend...). We (myself and the coding manager) are looking at a variety of articles, resources, books, etc, and trying to disseminate information to staff.
    For focused analysis, we are in the early implementation phase of the Advisory Board's Compass product. This pulls all our hospitals data and provides analysis as to where are most vulnerable areas are as well as areas of opportunity. It also breaks down the documentation "key concepts" needed to "fix" documentation issues associated with ICD-10. I am pretty excited about this but we are in the very early stages so I can't tell you specifically how well it will end up working. Ultimately, I think it depends on how resources are allocated to the product. I think there is great potential, but we have to be willing to actually dedicate time to the project.

I know where our issues are, and I don't think the majority are internal to CDI and this is the problem. I think we will be decently prepared. We are expanding staff, have implemented a fully electronic process, and I think we are doing what we can to gain knowledge on the potential issues that we should be focused on. However, just like with all documentation issues, it comes down to the MD's. We do not have great query response. Dr's eventually do generally respond, but I don't consider their responses "timely". Unfortunately, there is only so much we can do. We do not have the staff to follow the Dr's around asking for a response, and regardless, they need to answer in the EMR, so we can't physically bring a query to them for signature. The hospital has been unwilling (so far) to make responses mandatory or put in place any consequences. My biggest fear is that we will be slapping queries on left and right, but they will not be responded to...

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404
  • There are a number of vendors out there that are offerring programs for all staff. One we are looking at is a company called Precyse. This company has online education for coders, CDS staff, physicians and general information for all other staff. it is pricey... but offers both on line presentations, testing, games and other types of tutorials. it also can interface with hospital learning managment systems or be independent.

CDI specific materials seem to be hard to find. I will be taking the online HCPro icd-10 for CDI bootcamp next month. This is one of very few CDI I-10 products i have seen.

Laurie L. Prescott RN,MSN, CCDS
  • Thanks. I have been discussing the HCPro CDI I10 boot camp (likely on site...we have enough to break even & could also offer to some other hospitals that have CDI staff that are not part of our system). A decision has not been made.

Also was just hearing about Precyse. Sounds like a large suite, with the ability to customize & scale. Think it might be one of the items being considered for an enterprise wide option for education to different staff levels / needs.

Don
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Don,
    I just saw your post regarding hosting HCPRO-ICD-10 on site. Please let me know if you do, as I have someone I would like to send.
    Also, we are currently conducting demos from 3 vendors for ICD-10 housewide training. We are looking at Precyse, 3M, and Net Learning/affiliated with AHIMA. I have seen both 3M and Precyse at this point. Both offer a wide array of course modules specific to physicians, coding/CDI, and basic awareness modules. Both offer testing at the completion of the modules and reporting capabilities. The Precyse model has more in the realm of games and fun activities associated with ICD-10. 3M is pretty cut and dry. Unsure of our selection until we see the NetLearning product.

Thanks,
    Linda

Linda Rhodes RN, BSN, CCDS
    Manager Clinical Documentation Improvement
    New Hanover Regional Medical Center
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Office # 910-815-5544
    Cell " 910-777-8344
    e-mail : linda.rhodes@nhrmc.org