treated with anticoagulation (usually but not always warfarin). Usually
the PE/DVT is not coded in these cases. Sometimes the conditions are
documented as a "history of" DVT/PE even though they are being treated
during the hospitalization.

How do coding rules work for these diagnoses? Do we need to query for
the chronicity of the DVT/PE? When is a PE considered subacute or
choronic? When is a DVT chronic? Is the the 'history of" terminology
that is problematic here? Would it not also be correct to code the
long-term use of anticoagulants in these cases?

Cathy Seluke, RN, BSN, ACM, CCDS

Supervisor Clinical Documentation Compliance

MaineGeneral Medical Center

Augusta and Waterville, Maine

(207) 872-1796

Cathy.Seluke@mainegeneral.org

Comments

• If HISTORY, only, and no CURRENT (Chronic) DVT or PE, report with a V-Code for the condition as well as a V-Code for the use of the Anticoagulant.

However, if current radiological studies and/or signs or symptoms indicate a DVT or PE is currently present, report with the code(s) for the chronic condition.

As your message indicated, a H/O may mean the condition was present in past, but has resolved, and pt may be on a drug to prevent recurrence. These are not coded as chronic thrombus.

OR, pt may currently have a 'chronic' DVT/PE, which would allow one to code as current condition...responding w/o access to any coding books or software.

For such cases, I query only if evidence of a chronic clot.

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CCDS
  • I'd add this wrinkle, and again from a clinical perspective.

If the PE/DVT was recent (I don't have a solid clinical reference, but would consider perhaps as much as 3 months) from initial dx...the PE may be considered as acute or sub-acute and under current tx. The coumadin does not 'remove' the clot, rather prevents formation of additional or expanding clots & there is a strong likelihood the clot is present. In this circumstance, we will query with the options including acute / subacute / chronic / history of.

Past that period, would likely query for chronic vs history of.

Don

• I am not sure I am reading this properly - are indicating if the record states 'history of PE" and less than 3 months have passed since diagnosis, you advocate coding as a current condition without a query?

Thanks,

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CCDS
  • I initially attempted to respond while traveling, and I don't like my own response! I wish to clarify.

If a patient has a History of PE or DVT, I would code as a chronic DVT or PE IF the record documents a DVT or PE is currently present.

If the term H/O is used and it is not explicitly stated a PE or DVT is present, I would review clinical indicators and consider a query for clarification -resolved or chronic?

If this is truly an historical condition and record does not clearly document as a current clot, I would code with V-Codes.

It is a fairly common scenario and good food for thought.

AHA Coding Clinic
  • As you've described -- history of PE, less than 3 months -- would NOT code as a current condition. I'd not code as a current condition (without a query) except if the physician spontaneously documents acute -- and then I'd be looking clinically to see if that is supported by current imaging &/or clinical signs.

For those cases that the physician documents PE (not documenting status) & it has been less than 3 months, I would CONSIDER a query to ask the nature/status of the PE -- with the response options of acute, subacute, chronic, or history of.

Don