Coding help needed.

i have had a patient admitted with admit diagnosis of Septic olecranon bursitis. The discharge physician documented infectious bursitis of the elbow. The elbow was drained and only ordered was an analysisi of the fluid. No culture was done. Patient was placed on IV antibiotics. I am struggling with this chart. I would like to knw how you guys would code this chart. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    726.33 - Olecranon Bursitis
    Septic bursitis
          Coding Clinic, Second Quarter 2001 Page: 12 Effective with discharges: July 1, 2001

Question:

What is the appropriate code for septic bursitis of the left shoulder?

Answer:

Assign code 726.10, Disorders of bursae and tendons in shoulder region, unspecified, and a code from category 041.X, Bacterial infection in conditions classified elsewhere and of unspecified site, when the causal organism has been identified.

Septic bursitis is a bursa that becomes infected with bacteria. This is a rare condition. Treatment may include antibiotics, repeated aspiration of the inflamed fluid, or surgical drainage and removal of the infected bursa sac (bursectomy).

Infected prepatellar bursitis with bursectomy and I&D
          Coding Clinic, Second Quarter 2006 Page: 15 Effective with discharges: July 15, 2006
          Related Information

Question:

A patient was admitted with infected prepatellar bursitis of the right knee. An irrigation, debridement and bursectomy were performed. An incision was made centered in the midline and the darkened eschar skin was removed. The bursa was excised and culture and sensitivity was carried out on the grossly purulent material. The culture confirmed the presence of Staphylococcus. Once the bursa was removed, the area was packed and wrapped. What are the diagnosis and procedure code assignments for this surgery?

Answer:

Assign code 726.65, Prepatellar bursitis, for the infected prepatellar bursitis. Code 041.10, Bacterial infection in conditions classified elsewhere and of unspecified site, Staphylococcus, unspecified, should be assigned as an additional diagnosis. Assign code 83.5, Bursectomy, for the excision of the bursa. An additional code is not necessary for the irrigation and debridement since these procedures are integral to the bursectomy.

Sharon