Staffing for ICD-10

Is anyone considering increase of CDI staff for ICD-10 training, implementation and beyond?

Linda Haynes
lhaynes@lhs.org

Comments

• Yes. We are a ~26- bed facility. We started out as a 2-man team 2 years ago and picked up another staff member this summer. We just moved from Care Coord to Quality and opened 5 positions (!!!) for CDI plus an ICD-10 project manager and a database analyst. The database analyst and project manager are largely because we are implementing ICD-10 Compass (advisory board product) and will need them for that.
    We intend on expanding to all payers plus possible some outpatient/ED/OBS arenas depending on how it goes.

Its rather overwhelming to go from our tiny team to a full on force but it's exciting too. ICD-10 has definitely been a way for us to get more support from Sr. Management.

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404

• That should say 260 bed :)

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404

• edited May 2016
    Thanks for clarifying that Katy! I was about to go stamp my feet, cry, pout and raise sand at my Supervisor because we can't get more than 3 positions to cover 400+ beds! She would have patted me on the head, given me a "chill-pill" and sent me home for the day! :)

NBrunson, RHIA,CDIP,CCS,CCDS

• edited May 2016
    Me too! So glad, I am not the only ~500 bed facility with 3.3 FTE!

-Jane

• Jane,
    We are 758 beds with 3 FTE’s…..hope to be getting more soon. ☺

• edited May 2016
    Wow!

I would really like to know your workflow focus! How many admissions are you reviewing? Are you reviewing all payers? Do you focus on certain DRGs? What kind of software- if any- are you using?

Norma T. Brunson, RHIA,CDIP,CCS,CCDS

• Norma,
    We see between 30-35 cases a day. We use 3M CDIS for our documentation. At the present time we only review Medicare and Medicare HMO

• edited May 2016
    Jane,

Can you offer insight on the benefits and disadvantages of 3M CDIS? We will be implementing 3m 360 Encompass this year.

Thanks,

Dorie Douthit, RHIT,CCS
    ddouthit@stmarysathens.org

• edited May 2016
    We are a 430 bed facility and started the CDI program in 2010 with one CDI and a second CDI joined 3 months later. A year after that (2011) another CDI position was hired and the end of 2012 we added our 4th CDI! We use Epic as MAR and MIDAS for CDI documentation but we are currently transitioning to 3M CDIS only. We were told that for a facility our size a effective CDI department should have at least 6 CDI which we hope to have by 2014-2015.

• edited May 2016
    This is such great information and I really appreciate all those who have answered. I think we are currently understaffed and there is a great amount of dependence on our team in the coming year to help educate physicians on ICD-10 and to monitor documentation weaknesses. I hope we can continue these discussions as facilities begin educational efforts and implementation of ICD-10. We are already being asked to help in other areas, such as PEPPER reports, readmissions, etc., so our role seems to be expanding.

Thank you.

Linda Haynes, RHIT, CCDS | Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement | Legacy Health

1919 NW Lovejoy | Portland, Oregon 97209 | 503-415-5609 | lhaynes@lhs.org

• edited May 2016
    I would like this information as well. We are looking for CDI Software. We have an old version of a product which is now unsupported due to us not signing on for another contract- which is due to expenses.

We have Quadramed/Quantim Encoder but they are still working on their CDI module.

3M has been talked about because of corporate support. We have looked at CDIS and liked the Demonstration. Especially how it communicated between both Coding and CDI and the ICD 10 support and education. But again, money is an issue.

With 30 new admissions a day, do you feel like CDIS assists in moving you quickly through your reviews?

Is there an adequate "notes" area to document clinical findings? Or to clinically support your queries? Or is is mostly Check-boxes?

Our software is horribly outdated but I do love the notation area.

Thanks
    NBrunson, RHIA,CDIP,CCS,CCDS

• Norma,
    We absolutely enjoy our CDIS system. It interfaces with our meditech program as well as the 3M encoder. CDIS does help us tremendously with our heavy volume as it is easier to use, quick response time as well as a consolidated effort.

We can enter our initial data, we can enter our query information and our final DRG flows over which assists with our reconciliation process. To be truthful, we do not place a great deal of documentation unless we have planned time off and someone else is going to review our cases. This is strictly done out of time constraints. However, CDIS does allow a great deal of documentation space for both query chapters and concurrent review chapters. It also includes the SOI/ROM at the bottom of the page, which is extremely helpful. CDIS also allows many intervention dates since we do have quite a few long term patients. We currently do not use it as a coding communication tool however I really like that feature.

I hope this helps.
    Lisa

• edited May 2016
    Yes, CDIS is a 3M product.

Linda Haynes, RHIT, CCDS | Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement | Legacy Health

1919 NW Lovejoy | Portland, Oregon 97209 | 503-415-5609 | lhaynes@lhs.org

• I'm going to ask you a question over in the new thread regarding CDI Software. :)

Thanks,

Norma T. Brunson, RHIA,CDIP,CCS,CCDS