CDI Staffing for ICD-10

Hi all,
I was on the ACDIS call yesterday when there was discussion regarding increasing staffing for ICD-10. I am looking for input from other programs as to whether they are requesting additional FTE's (and how many) to support the need for additional querying, education, decreased CDI and coding productivity. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda

Linda Rhodes RN, BSN, CCDS
Manager Clinical Documentation Improvement
New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Wilmington, North Carolina
Office # 910-815-5544
Cell " 910-777-8344
e-mail : linda.rhodes@nhrmc.org

Comments

• edited May 2016
    I currently have 7.6 FTE's (not including me) and have requested another
    7 FTE's. This request is in conjunction with expected decrease in
    productivity and increased queries for ICD-10, but also to include all
    payers and possibly some outpatient work. We are in budget
    negotiations, so I'm not sure if I will actually get approval yet J

Linda Haynes, RHIT, CCDS | Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement |
    Legacy Health

1919 NW Lovejoy | Portland, Oregon 97209 | 503-415-5609 |
    lhaynes@lhs.org

• edited May 2016

Thanks for the information. We are thinking along the same lines-move to
    review all payors at the same time. Good luck! I would be interested to
    hear the outcome.
    Thanks,
    Linda

Linda Rhodes RN, BSN, CCDS
    Manager Clinical Documentation Improvement
    New Hanover Regional Medical Center
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Office # 910-815-5544
    Cell " 910-777-8344
    e-mail : linda.rhodes@nhrmc.org
  • We have a similar plan. We started in early 2011 with a 2-(wo)man team :) and hired an additional FTE this summer. We just were approved for 5 FTEs (!!) for CDS plus a data analyst and a ICD-10 project manager to handle the non-IT side of ICD-10 and the implementation of a program called ICD-10 Compass. Like Linda, we are using ICD-10 to garner support to expand to all-payers and likely some outpatient CDI.
    So we will end up with 8 FTE's plus the data analyst and project manager in support of ICD-10. We are approx ~260 beds.
    Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404

• Jill
    Below is the big "buzz" on the CDI blog. The quarterly ACDIS conference call I had yesterday was mainly about ICD10 rev-up. One institution was approved for an additional TWELVE FTE's from their current SEVEN!
    I think that main concern is the decrease in productivity and increase in query's to cause a back log of cases reviewed....
    :) I am sure you know all this, but just and FYI! :)
    Juli

• edited May 2016
    Wow. Katie, your organization is really on it for a smaller hospital. I would love to have the ICD-10 Compass. I like the data analytics it provides for MDs particularly. What a lucky duck you and your hospital are to have such a great understanding of this need. I meet with CFO to make my pitch for increase in staffing March 4th. I appreciate hearing everyone's numbers. It will help my case, I hope:)
    -Jane

• I just help create a PowerPoint pitch for one of our sister hospitals. Good luck! I hope it works :)

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404

• edited May 2016
    I would love to see any presentations or hear about any positive arguments, made for additional positions for ICD 10.

We were originally staffed for 5 positions but we have had to beg, borrow and steal for the 3 positions we currently have.

Started lobbying for the fourth and they want to fill it w/someone for Oupt CDI! I'm thinking, "we can't fulfill our Inpt. Obligations and we want to move into Outpt"?

NBrunson, RHIA,CDIP,CCS, CCDS

• Me too
    Ann Donnelly
    Annnd2009@gmail.con