CDS/annual discharges

I was wondering how everyone determines their FTEs. A consulting company has told us that 1 CDS/1900 annual Medicare discharges is the goal. I am just looking for some feedback. We are a smaller hospital & we do not have anywhere near that many Medicare discharges.
Thanks for any info,
Laura

Comments

• I have used 2 sources.

1. Our consulting company provides this info

2. The advisory Board has a FTE calculator that you can download (if your hospital is a member) and play with.

Both formulas take into consideration not only # of discharges but also other criteria like:

1. # of chart reviews you expect your staff to do daily (may vary based on experience, type of record and/or ancillary duties)

2. Program goals (how frequent your reviews will be, % coverage, etc)

3. How many sick/vacation days your staff is allowed

4. Average patient LOS

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404
  • Typically, many consultants / newer programs start with Medicare population. However, I'd simply think of that number as targeted patient population for CDI review.

I have heard from 2 different consultants around 1900.
    The ACDIS surveys range 1500 to 1900 as core part of the responses.
    An Advisory Board study on CDI programs cited average 9/day & high performing 12/day (estimating 255 working days a year, 85% worked 217 -- vacation, etc. -- gives 1953 to 2600; this strikes me as high, it is difficult to extrapolate from daily to annual).

All of Katy's comments and factors are on target considerations.

I know one program in particular that as they changed focus to a broad focus of all accurate documentation and especially profiling, found they needed to adjust their standards from around 2000 to 1800.

I use a model of 1850 annual discharges.

Don
    ===================