rounding

Hello fellow CDI's,
We are a 6 month old dept., and I was wondering what are a few ideas for structoring the day. I was wondering if you could answer a couple a questions :
1.how many days out of week do you round?

2. What is your case load and how many charts do you review in a day, and are they new admits or re reviews in that number of daily charts

Comments

• edited April 2016
    As there is only me in this ~3year old program and we switched to full electronic record last June, my daily reviews vary (depends on how long pt has been here upon my 1st review, intensity of care such as PICU/NICU, which doctor is the attending {as some have better documentation habits than others}, what other responsibilities I am juggling (resid education, contacting docs re: outstanding queries, coder-CDI matching reviews...), etc. My census can vary between 35-90 and that is without reviewing NICU/newborn nursery. Re-review rates vary depending on my caseload. Generally I try to capture 2MCCs and 2 CCs before I stop reviewing a chart and let coding pick it up from there. Now if a pt (who I've stopped reviewing) is here 30 or 45+ days then I may "peak" at it again to see if there are any changes such as surgery or complications, etc.
    I don't round currently since it's only me- hoping to pick that back up when another person is added to staff. When I started this program I tried to round once a month alternating between the 2 teams.