overdose/suicide with intubation

Just second guessing myself here. Suicide attempt comes in awake and alert 15 minutes after taking a massive dose of verapamil and was intubated and an A-line placed in ANTICIPATION of future instability. At that time the patient was not in any distress from a resp standpoint. She does later go into shock in the ED and eventually has a PEA arrest. She was resussitated but this could not be maintained and eventually they called the code.
Can I query for resp failure in this circumstance?

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
Flagstaff Medical Center
Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
Cell: 928.814.9404

Comments

• edited April 2016
    How utterly sad... Yes I would query if I had other indicators for acute respiratory failure besides being placed on the vent for airway protection. These are the indicators that I typically use... If I have at least 2 present then I query.

o Respirations >28;

o Air hunger;

o Use of accessory muscles of respiration;

o Inability to speak in full sentences;

o Cyanosis;

o Pulse ox
  • edited April 2016
    We would query here for reason for intubation:
    -For airway protection
    -For respiratory failure, please specify etiology/acuity
    -Other -please specify
    -Unable to determine

Anna Rozhkovskaya

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 14, 2015, at 6:36 PM, CDI Talk wrote:

How utterly sad… Yes I would query if I had other indicators for acute respiratory failure besides being placed on the vent for airway protection. These are the indicators that I typically use… If I have at least 2 present then I query.

o Respirations >28;

o Air hunger;

o Use of accessory muscles of respiration;

o Inability to speak in full sentences;

o Cyanosis;

o Pulse ox
  • The reason for intubation was not resp failure. That’s the issue. She was in no distress at that time. But with the massive overdose of Calcium channel blockers (among other meds) they anticipated her becoming unstable. So they intubated and put in an a-line/central line right away. She did become unstable soon after. Cardiogenic shock, then PEA arrest. But there was never resp distress. Now if she hadnt’ been intubated early though, she would have required intubation for resp failure during the code.
    My concern is that this will be the sole MCC if I query and the MD agrees…

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404

• edited April 2016
    I understand this, but it would nice if doctor could state that pt was intubated for airway protection. Our docs here do it sometimes.

• edited April 2016
    I would not code respiratory failure. Without clinical indicators, not sure query is appropriate. You could ask for reason for intubation but the physician already said it for airway protection. The CC below has a different outcome but the principal still applies…I think.
    I would code cardiac arrest which is a MCC as is cardiogenic shock. PEA = cardiac arrest.

[http://sv-3mxx-01:8080/reference2/images/blanknote.gif]

Mechanical ventilation for airway protectionairway protection

Coding Clinic, Third Quarter 2012 Page:21 Effective with discharges: September 15, 2012
    Question:

A patient presents to the Emergency Department (ED) due to an overdose of Ambien and is intubated and placed on mechanical ventilation. The attending physician admits the patient to the intensive care unit (ICU) and documents that the patient was intubated for airway protection because of the drug overdose. There was no documentation of respiratory failure and the patient was weaned from the ventilator the following next day. Can the coder assume that the patient was in respiratory failure and report code 518.81, Acute respiratory failure, based on the fact that the patient was intubated and placed on mechanical ventilation for airway protection?

Answer:

Do not assign code 518.81, Acute respiratory failure, simply because the patient was intubated and received ventilatory assistance. Documentation of intubation and mechanical ventilation is not enough to support assignment of a code for respiratory failure. The condition being treated (e.g., respiratory failure) needs to be clearly documented by the provider.

© Copyright 1984-2015, American Hospital Association ("AHA"), Chicago, Illinois. Reproduced with permission. No portion of this publication may be copied without the express, written consent of AHA.

Sharon Salinas, CCS
    Health Information Management
    Barlow Respiratory Hospital
    2000 Stadium Way, Los Angeles CA 90026
    Tel: 213-250-4200 ext 3336
    FAX: 213-202-6490
    ssalinas@barlow2000.org

• What about impending Respiratory failure?