I-9 coding in an I-10 world...

Arizona Workmans Comp has not transitioned to ICD-10. I know we are not alone in this as approximately half of states Workmans Comp programs are not transitioning at this time as far as I know. That said, I think we may be alone in how we are handling it ;-). In order to have access to I-9 codes for Workmans Comp, our facility chose to leave on the 3M option to duel code. I have been told this is an either/or decision (you can not only have it for certain claims). In doing this, ALL claims must be duel coded which obviously has caused a coding slowdown. It also causes a CDI slowdown as we use the freestanding encoder, which we are told must match the settings of our encoder coders use. I do not believe other facilities are doing this and I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of how they may be handling claims that still require I-9 codes. Ultimately, I likely have no control over how our hospital manages this issue but I would like to acquire a greater understanding of the options.

Thanks for your help!

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
AHIMA Approved ICD-10CM/PCS Trainer
Flagstaff Medical Center
Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
Cell: 928.814.9404

Comments

• edited April 2016
    We code all claims in ICD-10. From a business stand point dual coding creates issues such as the decrease in productivity, which results in higher cost (coder (salaries) & and slowdown in cash for our CFO to accept. We recode and enter ICD-9 codes directly into the billing system for rouge insurance plans. The recoding is a minor issue compared to the others.

Marty