Opinion on Acute Respiratory Failure

Good-morning-We have a discussion between our group as to whether Acute Respiratory Failure w/ hypoxemia codes the same as Acute Respiratory Failure, Hypoxic.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance for all responses. Charlene Barnes, RN, CCDS

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Charlene - it would code exactly the same IF the numbers proved that the patient did, indeed, have acute hypoxic respiratory failure. You have to look at the circumstances of the clinical scenario and at the validation through lab results or pulse oximetry. Do you have any of that for us to see to help you?

Robert S. Gold, MD
    CEO, DCBA, Inc
    4611 Brierwood Place
    Atlanta, GA 30360
    (770) 216-9691 (Office)
    (404) 580-0204 (Cell)

• edited March 2016
    Strictly from a coding standpoint: Hypoxia and hypoxemia both code to R09.02 in I-10. Respiratory failure (J96.-) is excluded under R09. Consequently, in my simple mind, J96.01 would be used for both acute respiratory failure w/hypoxemia and acute respiratory failure, hypoxic.

Sharon Salinas, CCS
    Health Information Management
    Barlow Respiratory Hospital
    2000 Stadium Way, Los Angeles CA 90026
    Tel: 213-250-4200 ext 3336
    FAX: 213-202-6490
    ssalinas@barlow2000.org

• edited March 2016
    Dr. Gold, Thank you for your prompt response.
    I am strictly the messenger in this scenario. I would have no problem using Acute Respiratory Failure, Hypoxic or Hypoxemia if the patient had clinical indicators and physical signs/symptoms of respiratory failure.
    Once again, thank you for your valued input.