Hypertensive Heart Disease?

Hello!
I have a question regarding Hypertensive Heart Disease...

For patients who have both hypertension and heart failure, what indicators do you look for/when do you query for Hypertensive Heart Disease?

Thanks!
Greta

**********************************************************************************************************
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain personal patient health care information and is protected by federal law and other statutory protections. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Virginia Hospital Center -Arlington's Information Systems Department @703-558-6566.

***********************************************************************************************************

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Hey Dr. Gold,

I don't know about Greta, but that's exactly what I've been needing to round out my training materials. Thanks!!!

Renee

Linda Renee Brown, RN, MA, CCDS, CCS, CDIP
    Director, Clinical Documentation
    Tanner Health System
  • Is there any increase connection when pulmonary HTN is present?...and speaking of pulmonary HTN - primary pulmonary HTN IS A CC and secondary pulmonary HTN is not a CC. What clinically might be seen in distinguishing types of pulmonary HTN?

Thank you,
    Ann

• edited March 2016
    Ann - it's important to find the cause of any abnormality in function of the organs. In the case of secondary causes of pulmonary hypertension, the designation of the cause is often the modifier you're looking for from a financial perspective. From my perspective, it tells the record what's wrong with the patient, and that's the primary goal. Read http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/303098-overview#a5

Here you'll see a categorization of primary causes (which includes idiopathic) and secondary causes. Run the secondary causes through the grouper and you'll see a wide variety of effects.

Robert S. Gold, MD
    CEO, DCBA, Inc
    4611 Brierwood Place
    Atlanta, GA 30360
    (770) 216-9691 (Office)
    (404) 580-0204 (Cell)

• edited March 2016
    Oh, and pulmonary hypertension is totally unrelated to hypertensive heart disease or hypertensive cardiomyopathy as HHD refers to systemic hypertension.

Robert S. Gold, MD