Endobronchial Ultrasound Bronchoscopy (EBUS)- tissue vs fluid?

Hi,
( reports below)
This is new for me to look into and I know there has been a lot of talk about procedures being surgical... my question ( out of TOTAL ignorance)- From this how do you know tissue is taken instead of fluid? leading to different DRGs- root operation drainage vs excision...
Is that just clear?

when I look at definition of EBUS-....it says- perform a technique known as transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) to obtain tissue or fluid samples from the lungs and surrounding lymph nodes without conventional surgery...
so how do we know tissue was taken instead of fluid from the lymph node.. or the fluid from the lymph node would still be considered tissue?

Thanks,

Ann

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Lung cancer.
POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Lung cancer, small cell.
ROUTE: Oral.
DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: ...
bronchoscope was passed through the mouth to the back of the throat. ... Both vocal cords are
normal and mobile. The trachea was entered. An EBUS evaluation was done. ..Large subcarinal, right hilar nodes were seen. subcarinal nodes aspirated.
On prelim this is a small cell lung cancer

path- EBUS FNA of a subcarinal lymph node

IMMEDIATE ASSESSMENT:

Three air-dried smears are received from EBUS FNA of a subcarinal lymph
node. Immediate Diff-Quik stain is applied. Microscopic examination is
diagnostic for malignancy, consistent with small cell carcinoma. is immediately informed in the bronchoscopy suite

Comments

• Check the pathology report, that will give you the answer.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:07 PM
    To: Ilsley, Michelle
    Subject: [cdi_talk] Endobronchial Ultrasound Bronchoscopy (EBUS)- tissue vs fluid?

Hi,
    ( reports below)
    This is new for me to look into and I know there has been a lot of talk about procedures being surgical... my question ( out of TOTAL ignorance)- From this how do you know tissue is taken instead of fluid? leading to different DRGs- root operation drainage vs excision...
    Is that just clear?

when I look at definition of EBUS-....it says- perform a technique known as transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) to obtain tissue or fluid samples from the lungs and surrounding lymph nodes without conventional surgery...
    so how do we know tissue was taken instead of fluid from the lymph node.. or the fluid from the lymph node would still be considered tissue?

Thanks,

Ann

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Lung cancer.
    POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Lung cancer, small cell.
    ROUTE: Oral.
    DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: ...
    bronchoscope was passed through the mouth to the back of the throat. ... Both vocal cords are
    normal and mobile. The trachea was entered. An EBUS evaluation was done. ..Large subcarinal, right hilar nodes were seen. subcarinal nodes aspirated.
    On prelim this is a small cell lung cancer

path- EBUS FNA of a subcarinal lymph node

IMMEDIATE ASSESSMENT:

Three air-dried smears are received from EBUS FNA of a subcarinal lymph node. Immediate Diff-Quik stain is applied. Microscopic examination is
    diagnostic for malignancy, consistent with small cell carcinoma. is immediately informed in the bronchoscopy suite
    ---
    CDI Talk is offered for networking purposes. For official rules and regulations related to documentation and coding, please refer to your regulatory source.

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: milsley@nebraskamed.com If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-20326892.f042474c133b67fd44e79e850627bd57@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013
    HCPro, Inc., 75 Sylvan Street, Danvers MA 01923

Nebraska Medicine E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer

The information in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the addressee(s) above. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete it and immediately contact the sender.
  • edited March 2016
    It is at bottom here. It dats fine needle biopsy of lymph node.

Are you saying that that means it's of the tissue? It could never be fluid from the node? I expected it to say tissue... Maybe that there is no fluid in lymph nodes?