Mortaliy rewiew question

I need help in understanding UHC mortality review methodology. Is there anyone who uses the UHC model for mortality reviews that I might be able to contact to ask a few questions? CDI has been asked to add these to our work flow. I am confused on information related to the APR-DRG SOI/ROM categories and the UNC variables in the UNC risk models. I want to understand the process.

If anyone who uses this model is available to help me with some questions I would be very appreciative. Please let me know how I might contact you.

Thank you,

Debbie Smith RN, CCDS, CCS
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
William P Clements and Zale Lipshy University Hospitals
6201 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390
214-645-5217
deborahw.smith@utsouthwestern.edu

Comments

• Hi Debbie,
    You and I seem to be in the same boat. We just started mortality reviews too. I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge you are seeking, but will share if/when I do.

Vanessa Falkoff RN
    Clinical Documentation Improvement Coordinator

University Medical Center of Southern Nevada
    1800 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV
    vanessa.falkoff@umcsn.com
    office 702-383-7322

Compassion * Accountability * Respect * Integrity

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:36 PM
    To: Vanessa Falkoff
    Subject: [cdi_talk] Mortaliy rewiew question

I need help in understanding UHC mortality review methodology. Is there anyone who uses the UHC model for mortality reviews that I might be able to contact to ask a few questions? CDI has been asked to add these to our work flow. I am confused on information related to the APR-DRG SOI/ROM categories and the UNC variables in the UNC risk models. I want to understand the process.

If anyone who uses this model is available to help me with some questions I would be very appreciative. Please let me know how I might contact you.

Thank you,

UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas William P Clements and Zale Lipshy University Hospitals
    6201 Harry Hines Blvd.
    Dallas, TX 75390
    214-645-5217
    ---
    CDI Talk is offered for networking purposes. For official rules and regulations related to documentation and coding, please refer to your regulatory source.

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: vanessa.falkoff@umcsn.com If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-12881172.0567913f3a65957e70b98241bedfe64e@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013
    HCPro, Inc., 75 Sylvan Street, Danvers MA 01923
  • We use a Midas Data Vision+ model...do you want that information? May be similar?

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CCDS

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation
    Sutter West Bay
    633 Folsom St., 7th Floor, Office 7-044
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    Cell:  415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:57 AM
    To: Evans, Paul
    Subject: RE: [cdi_talk] Mortaliy rewiew question

Hi Debbie,
    You and I seem to be in the same boat. We just started mortality reviews too. I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge you are seeking, but will share if/when I do.

Vanessa Falkoff RN

1800 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV
    office 702-383-7322

Thank you,

UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas William P Clements and Zale Lipshy University Hospitals
    6201 Harry Hines Blvd.
    Dallas, TX 75390
    214-645-5217
    ---
    CDI Talk is offered for networking purposes. For official rules and regulations related to documentation and coding, please refer to your regulatory source.

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: vanessa.falkoff@umcsn.com If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-12881172.0567913f3a65957e70b98241bedfe64e@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013

---

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: evanspx@sutterhealth.org If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-12940161.4b24e9352adc7dfa247d8332246d4e2a@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013
  • I want your MIDAS info Paul! :)

Katy Good, RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS
    Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator
    Flagstaff Medical Center
    Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com
    Cell: 928.814.9404

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:53 AM
    To: Kathryn Good

We use a Midas Data Vision+ model...do you want that information? May be similar?

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation Sutter West Bay
    633 Folsom St., 7th Floor, Office 7-044 San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

Hi Debbie,

Vanessa Falkoff RN

1800 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV
    office 702-383-7322

Thank you,

6201 Harry Hines Blvd.
    Dallas, TX 75390
    214-645-5217
    ---

---
    Copyright 2013

---

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: evanspx@sutterhealth.org If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-12940161.4b24e9352adc7dfa247d8332246d4e2a@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013

---

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: kathryn.good@nahealth.com
    If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to
    leave-cdi_talk-12649561.a6bbaf3538c19e934e5136fbd051a6b1@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013
    HCPro, Inc., 75 Sylvan Street, Danvers MA 01923This message has been scanned and no issues were detected.
    Do not trust links or attachments and do not divulge sensitive information upon email request.

To report this email as SPAM, please forward it to spam@websense.com
  • Yes please and thank you Paul! Anything you can share is appreciated.

Vanessa Falkoff RN
    1800 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV
    office 702-383-7322

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:53 AM

I want your MIDAS info Paul! :)

Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator Flagstaff Medical Center Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com

We use a Midas Data Vision+ model...do you want that information? May be similar?

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

Hi Debbie,

Vanessa Falkoff RN

1800 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV
    office 702-383-7322

Thank you,

6201 Harry Hines Blvd.
    Dallas, TX 75390
    214-645-5217
    ---

---
    Copyright 2013

---

---
    Copyright 2013

---

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: kathryn.good@nahealth.com If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-12649561.a6bbaf3538c19e934e5136fbd051a6b1@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013
    HCPro, Inc., 75 Sylvan Street, Danvers MA 01923This message has been scanned and no issues were detected.
    Do not trust links or attachments and do not divulge sensitive information upon email request.

---

---
    Copyright 2013
  • What I have is the general description...I can try to find more refined information.

Key points:

All cases count, not just expired.

ROM assignment is key factor

Hospice cases excluded

5. ACA Mortality (Midas+ Encounter Risk Model) (1 measure)

Definition: Comparison of observed to expected mortality among acute care inpatient encounters as calculated by the Midas+ Encounter Risk Model for a specified clinical cluster.
    Numerator: Count of observed encounters for the clinical cluster in which the patient died.
    Denominator: Count of encounters with an expected discharge disposition of Death encounters as calculated by the Midas+ Encounter Risk Model for the specified clinical cluster.
    Measurement Calculation: Numerator divided by denominator.
    Data Source: MIDAS DataVision Hospital Report.
    Benchmark Goal Source: Midas+ Encounter Risk Model.
    Threshold: 0.9
    Full Performance: 0.9

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation
    Sutter West Bay
    633 Folsom St., 7th Floor, Office 7-044
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:53 AM

I want your MIDAS info Paul! :)

Clinical Documentation Program Coordinator Flagstaff Medical Center Kathryn.Good@nahealth.com

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

Hi Debbie,

Vanessa Falkoff RN

1800 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV
    office 702-383-7322

Thank you,

6201 Harry Hines Blvd.
    Dallas, TX 75390
    214-645-5217
    ---

---
    Copyright 2013

---

---
    Copyright 2013

---

You are receiving this message as a member of CDI Talk as: kathryn.good@nahealth.com If you would like to be removed from CDI Talk, please send a blank email to leave-cdi_talk-12649561.a6bbaf3538c19e934e5136fbd051a6b1@hcprotalk.com
    ---
    Copyright 2013

---

---
    Copyright 2013
  • edited March 2016
    Thanks Paul and Vanessa, and sorry for the late response--crazy day, so I'm just getting to look at emails. We use 3m grouper, 3m 360 and EPIC. I was able to connect with an ACDIS member who was very helpful and guided me through UNC website and process. She was able to answer my questions. Now I just need to process the information as I review and access the tool that are available. I know more questions will develop as I move forward.

This forum is amazing! I learn something new everyday.

Debbie Smith, RN, CCDS, CCS

Sent from my iPad