Diabetes help ?

How would you code this?

Diabetes type 2, uncontrolled

The coder placed it as DM w/hyperglycemia E11.65

I could not in the code book find uncontrolled. Our coding supervisor sent us this info: I would code the DM with hyperglycemia when uncontrolled is documented. I feel like out of control is similar verbiage as uncontrolled.

I from CDI query for clarification to have the documentation state inadequately controlled, out of control, and poorly controlled diabetes.
Any input, can this assumption that uncontrolled is the same as the inadequate, out of control or poorly controlled that is listed in the code book.

Awaiting some thoughts....

Tiffany Andras LPN CCS CCDS

Clinical Documentation Improvement
Thibodaux Regional Medical Center
602 North Acadia Road
Thibodaux, La. 70301
985-493-4593

Comments

• edited March 2016
    That is the way I code it. The snippet below is from AHIMA.
    Coding Diabetes Mellitus in ICD-10-CM

Posted By AHIMA Staff on May 16, 2012

By Karen M. Kostick

ICD-10-CM diabetes codes complement present medical science-separate type 1 and type 2 diabetes category codes and body system combination codes represent a major improvement over ICD-9-CM. Diabetes mellitus codes are no longer classified as controlled or uncontrolled. Instead ICD-10-CM classifies inadequately controlled, out of control, and poorly controlled diabetes mellitus by type with hyperglycemia.

Sharon Salinas, CCS
    Health Information Management
    Barlow Respiratory Hospital
    2000 Stadium Way, Los Angeles CA 90026
    Tel: 213-250-4200 ext 3336
    FAX: 213-202-6490
    ssalinas@barlow2000.org

Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:12 AM
    To: Salinas, Sharon
    Cc: Denise W. Jackson; Kimberly A. Parfait
    Subject: [cdi_talk] Diabetes help ?

How would you code this?

Diabetes type 2, uncontrolled

The coder placed it as DM w/hyperglycemia E11.65

I could not in the code book find uncontrolled. Our coding supervisor sent us this info: I would code the DM with hyperglycemia when uncontrolled is documented. I feel like out of control is similar verbiage as uncontrolled.

I from CDI query for clarification to have the documentation state inadequately controlled, out of control, and poorly controlled diabetes.
    Any input, can this assumption that uncontrolled is the same as the inadequate, out of control or poorly controlled that is listed in the code book.

Awaiting some thoughts....

Tiffany Andras LPN CCS CCDS

Clinical Documentation Improvement
    Thibodaux Regional Medical Center
    602 North Acadia Road
    Thibodaux, La. 70301
    985-493-4593

---